Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting folders and projects

Why can't we sort folders and folder's content by date? There are only three options: by kind, by name or manually. And manually doesn't seem to work: If I drag a project higher or lower inside a folder, it just jumps to the top. It looks like a bug.

I have projects grouped in folders named by months (and months in folders named by years). To have them sorted the way I want, I must always use a number before the name, like 01 January, 02 February and so on, and then sort the folders and folder's content by name. It would be much easier to just sort by date, but that is impossible. Why?

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:33 AM

Ernst -- Have you looked into using the very useful Projects View?

Date sort is built-in, ascending or descending.

Imho, there is no need to replicate this in one's Library organization. As you've discovered, if you want to, you have to resort to faking date sorting by using names that when alphabetically sorted are also (because of how you coded the names) date sorted. (The computer has no knowledge of this -- it is simply executing a date sort.)

I can think of many reasons that the Library is not sort-able by date. One must be that "date" is an attribute that you expect to be assigned to the images in the Library containers. Note that the sorting options are attributes of the containers themselves, not of the Images they contain. (You can imagine sorting the containers by the date they were created -- but that's not what you want.) Another is that sorting any outline by lines is complex and involves a number of assumptions that may not be shared by a plurality of users.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2011 10:33 AM in response to Ernst Vikne

Ernst -- Have you looked into using the very useful Projects View?

Date sort is built-in, ascending or descending.

Imho, there is no need to replicate this in one's Library organization. As you've discovered, if you want to, you have to resort to faking date sorting by using names that when alphabetically sorted are also (because of how you coded the names) date sorted. (The computer has no knowledge of this -- it is simply executing a date sort.)

I can think of many reasons that the Library is not sort-able by date. One must be that "date" is an attribute that you expect to be assigned to the images in the Library containers. Note that the sorting options are attributes of the containers themselves, not of the Images they contain. (You can imagine sorting the containers by the date they were created -- but that's not what you want.) Another is that sorting any outline by lines is complex and involves a number of assumptions that may not be shared by a plurality of users.

Sorting folders and projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.