Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth lost after sleep (since 10.6.8)

Noticed that since 10.6.8 update, once I wake up Macbook Pro by lid opening, bluetooth become disabled and can't be enabled anymore until I restart whole laptop. Does anyone met similar problem? If this is somecthing general with 10.6.8 update r

MacBook Pro 5,1, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8Gb RAM + 500Gb HDD

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:17 AM

18 replies

Jun 27, 2011 7:28 PM in response to AjaxOdessa

I'm having the same problem but I think my case is even worse. I have an iMac (late 2009) and when it returns from sleep I get no mouse and no keyboard (both are bluetooth).

The solution that is working is to switch off one of them (the keyboard, for example) and turn it on again. When does not work(I am unable to even enter the password) I have to turn off thecomputer power button (to put in sleep) and wake it again.

Oh, one important detail: I can not even wake up the computer,because neither the keyboard nor mouse work. The computer nowonly wakes up the rear power button.

Jul 4, 2011 5:33 AM in response to nightsight

Similar problem for me. MBP15" 2.8GHz i7, 2010 model. Bluetooth was non-functional after wake from safe sleep (suspended to disk). Mine was still on 10.6.7 though, so 10.6.8 probably isn't the culprit. Apart from the 10.6.8 update, the MBP was otherwise up-to-date (as of 4th July 2011).

BT came back after rebooting (I allowed 10.6.8 to apply).

I had a Magic Mouse paired before sleeping (closing the lid into normal "active" sleep). The MBP would have entered safe sleep while away from the mouse, and powered back on when back in-range.

OS X initially believed BT to be active. I attempted to switch it off then back on using the menu bar icon, but once off it wouldn't come back on. Clicking the "On" checkbox in the Bluetooth prefs pane simply resulted in the box immediately unchecking itself.

Jul 16, 2011 5:54 AM in response to AjaxOdessa

Add me to the list of 'victims'. I have mid 2011 iMac with latest software update. When waking up from sleep bluetooth is disabled. Both keyboard and mouse don't respond. I can plug in a USB mouse, go to the system preferences -> Bluetooth and the checkbox for 'on' is not selected. When you click on that checkbox it never gets selected (and as a result bluetooth is never re-enabled). Only solution is to restart the whole computer. Quite annoying actually.

If anyone has found a way to fix this I would greatly appreciate any tips.

Cheers,

Julian

Jul 31, 2011 8:47 AM in response to DJDP

seeing that this problem is over a month old and wasnt taken care of in the supplemental 10.6.8 upgrade that just came out it I have to assume they wont be fixing this. Could it be a cheeky lil way of getting us to spring for the Lion upgrade? Not like Apple needs the money...they have more than the US Government!!!

Dec 22, 2011 3:20 PM in response to David C. Murray

Well, I had my Intel iMac to the Apple repair shop here in San Jose, Costa Rica today. They explained that some (or maybe all) Input/Output functions are controlled by a dedicated chip on the iMac's motherboard. Sometimes that chip needs to be reset.

Here's how:

First, from the Apple icon in the upper left corner, click on Shut Down.

Then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the iMac.

Then press the power button on the left (as you're facing the iMac) lower corner on the rear of the iMac and hold it in for ten seconds.

Then leave the iMac alone for ten minutes or longer (presumably to let all the capacitors discharge, but what do I know?)

Then reconnect the power cord and press the power button on the back to restart the iMac.

They did this for me and tested it extensively. It seems to have worked!

(This seems to be consistent with the previous poster's experience of having the motherboard, and presumably the misbehaving chip, replaced.)

Dec 11, 2016 4:00 AM in response to AjaxOdessa

I have the same problem. After sleep mode my bluetooth connection is disabled and since i am using bluetooth keyboard and mouse i have to restart the iMac to come back to work again. I had the problem with El Capitan but after upgrading do Sierra everything was fine. Then i had an issue where i needed to make a hard shut down of my iMac and after that the problem is back :-(

What i tried until now - without success:

1. Reset Bluetooth module and restart iMac

2. Reset SMC and restart iMac

3. Automator Script for unloading and loading BroadcomBluetootHostControllerUSBTransport

4. Disconnect all devices and power cord. Try to restart, wait ten minutes then reconnect.

5. Toogle Wifi off/on

6. Switch Bluetooth devices off/on

7. Restart "blued" process

Are there any other things i can try?

Bluetooth lost after sleep (since 10.6.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.