Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2011 2:24 PM by mranderson
Mr. Woo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i did some animations in after effects, cuted a movie in final cut x, then did some corrections an overwrite the files with the new animation. dinal cut show the red collored icon, that the clips are modify in a other program, the hole animation effects, retiming an so on, i have to do it again. such a ****.

in the past there were just the relink and boom....

• steve z Level 3 Level 3 (820 points)

From what I have found, on import if you uncheck copy files to FC event folders, it creates an alias to the orginal file. If you change the original file the alias updates and FCP doesn't even blink on the modify, no file offline or such. hope this works the same for you.

• Mr. Woo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I did exactly this, doesn't work!!! I can't change a video ?? thats crazy.

• steve z Level 3 Level 3 (820 points)

Yeah, I was doing it with a photoshop file and was having no problem. I tried again with videos exported from motion and got same offline issues. There HAS to be away around it. HEy at leats we know if you update a psd it stays connected!

• Patrick Sheffield Level 7 Level 7 (29,175 points)

No.

There is no way. FCX assigns a UUID on import to each piece of media. Thus there is no longer the Dreaded Relinking Issue.

Apple just forgot to ask if we actually use that in our workflows.

• Podcaster Level 2 Level 2 (370 points)

One thing I have noticed in FCPX, is that if you re-import the media it will actually reconnect to that missing file, unlike in FCP 7 where it comes in as a distincly separate clip from the missing one.

doesn't work for me. when I re-import, they both exist side by side. but the whole edit is on the not linked file. thats the biggest fail.

• Podcaster Level 2 Level 2 (370 points)

Hmm I guess I missed your original point that you had overwritten files. I have not tried overwritten files with the same file name. Maybe the modified date is borking it?

• Patrick Sheffield Level 7 Level 7 (29,175 points)

I honestly think this is by design. Apple, speaking thru David Pogue, have said that sometimes users got into trouble, relinking the wrong media, so they made sure it wouldn't happen anymore. At all.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (111,340 points)

Nope, the problem will never happen again. Of course if you lose your media, you are totally hosed. Reimport allegedly will reconnect, but in minimal tests it proved less than successful.

• hafken Level 4 Level 4 (1,225 points)

And what if you want to move your original media to a different drive? too bad. I tried replacing the aliases in the original media folder but that didn't work for reasons described above.

• Damian Grady Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is appauling. We make a lot of motion graphics elements for clients that inevitably change with various revisions and to not have the facility to reconnect to the new version is beyond pathetic.

Anyone managed to devise a workaround? We've tried re-importing the file again (with the same name) but we get 2 copies in the event list and of course one of them is unusable with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.

Perhaps it works with the original media, but how could I work with modified files. This is really what I use every day, for enhance animations etc. furthermore  for special colorcorrection etc.

such a ****.

• Damian Grady Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just tried it with a PSD and it updates in the event folder and the timeline immediately, without having to do anything, which is great. So why not with clips?????

thats the question!!

Previous 1 2 Next