Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4gb memory not enough for Snow Leopard MBP?

Hi,

Activity Monitor shows me that I have to keep quitting Safari or Chrome to have enough free memory

I find this astonishing.

I enclose 2 snapshots of my activity monitor. Does this look normal?

Any suggestions? I have looked round various forums and haven't found an answer.

Or is it just that 4gb is now the bare minimum to get by?

R

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileH

RUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 10:51 AM

16 replies

Jun 27, 2011 12:17 PM in response to Csound1

Csound, bit rude...

100mb is not going to make a difference to my position nor my question.

I was asking on the basis of what people can see of my usage does everything look ok.

I would normally be switching between these apps all day.

If I used Safari a bit it would be up at 400-500Mb very quickly my free memory would be close to zero.

Is it the case that with 2 mail apps , 2 browsers and a few other programmes open that 4GB is insufficient and the programmes should be regularly restarted?

Jun 27, 2011 2:08 PM in response to RonnieS

Unfortunately, yes. These days "4GB RAM" is the new "256MB RAM" of 8-10 years ago. As RAM has become cheaper and larger, application developers have stopped using it efficiently. If they need more RAM they just allocate a chunk of it, assuming that should your system run out you can easily pop in an upgrade or two.

Back when systems had only a few KB or MB of RAM, applications were written in clever ways to reduce the RAM footprint, but that is no longer a requirement for developers. Now even common libraries use large amounts of RAM for their various routines, and SDKs for developers make it easy for them to incorporate all of these libraries and resources into their programs.

In addition applications have become more complicated, and in doing so there are far more situations where memory leaks can occur, resulting in an application taking up more and more RAM as it runs to the point where it needs to be quit in order to free RAM for other uses (Safari is notorious for this).

Do keep in mind that even though you see a small green wedge of "Free RAM" in Activity Monitor, you can also safely lump the blue wedge in with it. The blue wedge is inactive RAM that is still holding information but is free to be used for other applications if needed. The yellow wedge is the RAM that's currently active and used, but technically could be paged to the hard drive to free up memory. The red wedge is RAM that cannot be paged to the hard drive or rendered inactive.

4gb memory not enough for Snow Leopard MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.