Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netrestore 10.6.8 fails in less than a minute

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

First off i have started completley from scratch with 10.6.8 and i'm using SIU.

My goal is to have a netrestore image that i can use ARD to point x amount of computers to that network image and restore a whole lab in one move.

my workflow in SIU is as follows

1.define image source, this is my perfect machine (macbook hd with 10.6.8)

2.Format disk, formats the disk regardless of what it is named and rename as "Macintosh HD"

3.enable automated installation on volume named "Macintosh HD"

4.create netrestore image

User uploaded file

My test mac can find the image on the network, boot and reformat but it won't restore the image. it fails in less than a minute. this was the same in 10.6.7 too.

I can provide more details if needed but does anybody out there have any idea what i may be doing wrong?

Thank you!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Server, SIU, Netrestore

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:55 PM

My answer is probably not what you're looking for, but that hasn't stopped me yet ;-)

I used the Apple imaging tools for years, sometimes without a hitch, sometimes successfully after searching these forums for tips becasue the tools didn't work straightforward, and sometimes with no luck. 2 or 3 years ago we hired a consultant to help out with imaging. They went right to DeployStudio. I've not touched Apple's imaging tools since.

DeployStudion's documentation is great, there is a good firum at their web site, and I've found the process to be much more stable than any version of Apple's tools. Once it is set up and running, adding new images and workflows is a breeze, and it is easily configurable. I highly reccomend it. YMMV.

http://deploystudio.com/Home.html

Jeff

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2011 6:55 PM in response to The Tree Man

My answer is probably not what you're looking for, but that hasn't stopped me yet ;-)

I used the Apple imaging tools for years, sometimes without a hitch, sometimes successfully after searching these forums for tips becasue the tools didn't work straightforward, and sometimes with no luck. 2 or 3 years ago we hired a consultant to help out with imaging. They went right to DeployStudio. I've not touched Apple's imaging tools since.

DeployStudion's documentation is great, there is a good firum at their web site, and I've found the process to be much more stable than any version of Apple's tools. Once it is set up and running, adding new images and workflows is a breeze, and it is easily configurable. I highly reccomend it. YMMV.

http://deploystudio.com/Home.html

Jeff

Netrestore 10.6.8 fails in less than a minute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.