Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe query

Just purchased a new Macbook Pro core i7 and this is my first mac laptop with a magsafe connector having not purchased a mac laptop since my powerbook G4. I was wondering is the connection supposed to have a little give. I.e. when the magsafe power cable is plugged in should it be a snug fit?

On my machine the port is a little bit bigger than the magsafe connector head itself so it has a little bit of room to move up and down. Just curious is this normal?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 1:58 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2012 11:15 PM in response to sig

I am quite in the same boat...my MagSafe connector head does not fit in snugly(I.e. it moves up and down from one end).Is this a feature or should I ask for a replacement as my MacBook Pro i7 13 inch(mid 2012) is still under warranty??? As kyl said it seems as if the connecting port(on the laptop) is bigger than the magsafe head...is this normal or am I on a lemon piece?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first ever Mac experience :(

Oct 15, 2012 3:50 PM in response to KYL

While there is a bit of wiggle room for the metal ring to snap onto the rubberized magnet around the gold contacts, it is important that the connector body be able to connect perfectly flat with respect to the body of the Mac. That will allow the gold pins in the plug to make full contact with the gold pads in the Mac socket and allow the full 85W of power to be transferred without overheating the connection.

I have a Speck hard shell on my Mac, and I had to sand down a bit of extra plastic leftover from the molding process in order to allow the connector to lie flat when the cable is let out the back (the connector is "reversible": cable can go out the back or out the front, as needed, although out the front will interfere with the ports.

The new Retinas out this year come with a MagSafe 2 connector, that appears to be somewhat larger than the traditional.

More info (check out #7 & 8, click on triangle to open, with respect to bad contacts): http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713

Magsafe query

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.