2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 6:19 PM by Poikkeus
geyien Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

So I'm thinking of getting one of the new 15 or 17 inch MBPs with quad-core i7.

I'm seeing reports here and elsewhere on the web that these machines run exceptionally hot and produce constant, annoying fan noise as a result.

Question 1: does anyone have one of these machines and is not experiencing such problems?  If so, please post here, so I can get a sense of how widespread (or not) these problems are.

Question 2: If having a cooler, quieter machine is my priority, would buying a refurb 2009 Core2Duo or a 2010 i7 be a better option?

Thanks!

• Eddyz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have my Mac Book Pro for less than 12 months and after not much unusual use it has just recently started making noise and getting warm if not hot.

I will have it checked before it crashes on me

• Poikkeus Level 4 Level 4 (2,785 points)

The 2011 MBP has issues for quite a few users - though some are perfectly happy with it. If you're from somewhere hot, the 2011 may not be your cup of tea.

1. I don't own one of these machines, but there are several threats - some quite long - relating to this issue. You can find one of the best here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2764570?tstart=0

2. Later in the above thread, toward the end, the Genius came up with a solution that seemed perfectly sensible: trade it in for a 2010 MBP, which runs cooler. I have a 2009 MBP, and while this isn't as fast, it's stable and cool. I like both the 2009 and 2010 MBP, can't go wrong with either. Refurbs can be very cost effective.