Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Azerty keyboard and Pinyin input method problem

Hello there

I'm using a 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro with an azerty keyboard and I have a problem when I try to write in Chinese. I'm currently using the input method called "Pinyin - Traditional".

I remember on Microsoft Windows I had to write the latin letters then select a word in the prompt list using the numbers on the upper row on my keyboard.

It looks the same on Mac OSX but when I press a number to select a word some other character appears.

For example, here's what happens when I write "hai" followed with a number :

hai1 gives 1

hai2 gives 孩

hai3 gives 孩”

hai4 gives hai'

hai5 gives 孩(

hai6 gives 骸

hai7 gives 亥

hai8 gives 亥!

hai9 gives 醢

Some combination are correct but the ones with 2, 3, 4, and 8 adds the special character that's on the key, while the one with 1 just gives "1".

I think there might be something with the fact I'm using a French azerty keyboard because you need to use the shift key to type numbers with a French keboard.

Anyway, I've tried with the default French input method, with the one called "Français - numérique", and also with the shift key and with the caps lock on but it still doesn't work.

I have looked on Google but I haven't found anything about this problem.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:12 PM

1 reply

Azerty keyboard and Pinyin input method problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.