Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari can't load Apple.com, but Chrome can

I am running Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and Safari 5.0.5. A problem has developed with Safari. It loads most sites just fine, but some sites, including Apple.com, never load. The error is:

Request Timeout

The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.

Reference #2.76e2ea3f.1309225081.0

Yet Chrome loads Apple.com instantly!

Here's another error message I've never seen:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the requested URL the following error was encountered:

Connection Lifetime Expired

Footprint has terminated the request because it has exceeded the maximum connection lifetime.

Footprint 4.6/FPMCP

Generated Tue, 28 Jun 2011 01:56:23 GMT by 206.33.42.126 (Footprint 4.6/FPMCP)

2008 Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8 GHz + 2007 MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.6), 10 GB RAM in the Pro, 3 GB RAM in the MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 8:26 PM

Go to your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.

Click: Show Cookies.

Type apple in the search field, click Remove All then click Done.

Now empty the Safari cache from the menu bar then restart your Mac.

Try http://www.apple.com/

64 replies

Jun 27, 2011 8:50 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Interesting! I had already emptied cache in the course of troubleshooting attempts. But dumping the cookies fixed it. I emptied the cache again after clearing all apple cookies, just to be sure to follow your instructions.

YouTube was having the same problem, so I deleted all YouTube cookies. The problem was instantly fixed without a cache dump or restart. So it seems clearing cookies is the thing that did the job.

A few words of explanation would be much appreciated, thanks!

Message was edited by: Gary P

Jun 30, 2011 6:14 PM in response to Gary P

I agree, Gary.

You might have been phished.

Have you tried changing your DNS numbers in System Preferences > Network?

If not, here goes:

So go up to the Apple icon on the top left corner of your screen.

Double click and move your cursor down to "System Preferences."

Then go down to "Network."

Click on Advanced button down in the lower right.

In the resulting box, click on the top menu > DNS.

Then, write down the two (probably) addresses in the left pane (DNS Servers).

(This is in case this doesn't work, and you can simply put the old ones back in easily)

Then erase those old numbers and replace with 208.67.222.222 (top one)

and 208.67.220.220 (lower one). The order is just to make things clearer to you.

It really doesn't matter.

Then when the new numbers are in there, go down to the lower right corner of that pane,

and click the OK button.

Restart Safari, and test again.

Jun 30, 2011 7:42 PM in response to TildeBee

Not that I know of, but I don't know what that means. I just moved into a shared rental 1 month ago. I was using Airport to access the anchor tenant's Apple Airport Extreme router, but it was a little too far away to be reliable. I installed a 75 ft. ethernet cable and am getting good speed except for the problems mentioned above. I have never had these problems before with any Mac.

Jun 30, 2011 7:57 PM in response to TildeBee

What is Footprint? My ethernet is connected to the main tenant's Airport Extreme router. It seems the problems started when I went from wireless to wired (here at the new place), but the unreliability I experienced with wireless could have been the same problem. I don't know. The router is only about 60 ft away.

Jun 30, 2011 11:54 PM in response to TildeBee

~Bee,

I don't understand why you mentioned phishing. Are you saying something may have gotten installed on my Mac without my permission? I thought phishing was getting tricked into supplying personal info. My room mate is not seeing the problems, even though he is connected to the same router. I couldn't understand a word of those posts in your Google search link.

The problem has spread, and now exists in all users, even in clones not updated to 10.6.8, etc. I am completely unable to load Apple's downloads page in any browser in any account, clone, etc. I reapplied the 10.6.8 Combo Update, repaired permissions, ran Disk Warrior, reset Safari, etc etc. All drives report S.M.A.R.T. status verified. I am out of ideas.

The only other thing I know how to do is a total reinstall, but that is so extreme.

Safari can't load Apple.com, but Chrome can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.