Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

? ? AW gets stuck while opening docs.

I have AW 6.2.9 in OS 10.6.7 on a MBP. Nothing has changed recently. However, AW started quitting unexpectedly and then all my AW docs started to get stuck while opening with a black and white rolling ball or a beach ball. This includes a crucial doc with all my contact info--passwords, addresses, phone nos-- in it.

I found and performed the following instructions from Barry who described them as "generic" AW solutions, while aanswering a poster whose AW kept quitting:

==============================

Apply the all-purpose trouble-shooting steps:

1. Delete AppleWorks's preferences files. AW keeps a set of these for each user, and corruption of one of more of the files can be blamed for a large portion of AW issues.

In a Finder window, click on the house icon with your user name attached, then Library > Preferences.

In the Preferences folder:

-locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist

-locate and open the AppleWorks folder

In this AppleWorks folder:

-delete the two cache files and the AppleWorks 6 Preferences file.

-the AppleWorks 6 Button Bars file is also a preferences file, and may also be deleted. If you have made changes to the Button Bar, and have no issues involving the Button Bar, this file may be left where it is.

AppleWorks will create new, clean copies of these files as it needs them.

2. Delete all or most of the items in Recent items. AppleWorks creates an alias to every file you save and puts it into the Recent Items folder for your user account. It never does get around to removing these, and eventually just monitoring them clogs up the 'Works to the point of appearing to stop entirely.

In a Finder window, click on the house icon

with your user name attached, then Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent items

Delete all or most of the items in this Recent Items folder.

(Deleting the items in this folder has no effect on the original files—these items are just pointers to those files.)

Regards, Barry

====================

Unfortunately, the doc in question now "appears to be damaged and cannot be opened". Fortunately, I had previously made a copy in MacPlus Deluxe in TextEdit. I tried re-installing AW 6.2.7 but was informed that I already have an intact copy.

What to do to restore my current AW docs?

Also, eventually I want to transfer all AW docs to a new program. Which do you recommend, and does that program automatically transfer all AW docs to its program or does this have to be done manually, one by one?

kk2480

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 3:59 PM

Fortunately AW now appears to work correctly. I deleted the damaged copy of the AW doc in question. It was probably Barry's suggestions that came to the rescue.

I still am interested in what new software folks would recommend to replace AW, and if anyone knows if it is necessary to manually convert all AW docs to new format, or whether the new software program will do this automatically. Years ago, I bought and installed a current Word Perfect version in my husband's computer after I couldn't open a doc in a version no longer supported, and the new version automatically copied the doc into the new edition.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2011 3:59 PM in response to jkaands

Fortunately AW now appears to work correctly. I deleted the damaged copy of the AW doc in question. It was probably Barry's suggestions that came to the rescue.

I still am interested in what new software folks would recommend to replace AW, and if anyone knows if it is necessary to manually convert all AW docs to new format, or whether the new software program will do this automatically. Years ago, I bought and installed a current Word Perfect version in my husband's computer after I couldn't open a doc in a version no longer supported, and the new version automatically copied the doc into the new edition.

Jun 28, 2011 4:41 PM in response to jkaands

I use iWork. The iWork applications - Keynote, Pages & Numbers - can only open AppleWorks 6 presentation, word processing & spreadsheet documents, respectively. They will not open any other type of AppleWorks 6 files or any AppleWorks 5 or any version of ClarisWorks files.

The third-party application, EazyDraw, can open AppleWorks draw documents. If you still have access to AppleWorks you can copy the contents of draw documents, paste them into an AppleWorks word processing document in object mode (click the arrow in the tool panel), save the WP document & then open it in Pages. You can copy & paste from AppleWorks to Pages but you would have to do it object by object or it will be one big uneditable object. Check Yvan Koenig's iDisk for many AppleScripts he has written to make conversion easier. Most are made to do batch conversions.

There is nothing other than AppleWorks that can open paint or database documents. Database data can be copied & pasted into an AppleWorks spreadsheet, saved & opened in Numbers or saved as ASCII/plain text & opened in most any spreadsheet, database or word processing program. Paint documents can be saved as one of many different formats to be opened in most image editing programs. I recommend using PICT or PNG for best results.

User uploaded file

? ? AW gets stuck while opening docs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.