Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Focus Enhancements FSH200 DTE clip import strangeness

I use a Focus Enhancements FSH200 DTE with my Canon XH-A1.

http://www.focusinfo.com/fsh200.asp

The DTE saves HDV formatted .mov's that don't seem to work when trying to import in to FCPX.

Strange thing though, 2 clips did import with no issues. The only difference I saw on the 2 clips that worked were that their timestamps had changed to Today, 12:16pm, even though I hadn't opened them or saved them, or even imported them in to FCPX yet. I simply browsed to their location, I saw that the files were marked as modified by the timestamp, and they were able to be imported. The other clips in that folder were not able to be imported, and had their original dates/times timestamp of almost two months ago.

I wonder what separates those 2 clips, and why they were modified--and what modified them. Is there a utility that'd pull these clips apart and tell me either what the differences are, to maybe figure out why one would import and another not?

I have a backup of the original, unmodified clips, and I can A/B them, and none of their data is different. MPEG Streamclip shows:

Clip that can't be imported:

Stream: 20110504-160356G01.mov

Path: ~/Desktop/FCP-X Strangeness/doesnotwork/20110504-160356G01.mov

Duration: 0:11:53

Data Size: 2.20 GB

Bit Rate: 26.55 Mbps

Video Tracks:

HDV 1080i60, 1440 × 1080, 29.97 fps, 25.00 Mbps

Audio Tracks:

16-bit Big Endian stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps

Stream Files:

20110504-160356G01.mov (2.20 GB)

Clip that can be imported:

Stream: 20110504-160356G01.mov

Path: ~/Desktop/FCP-X Strangeness/works/20110504-160356G01.mov

Duration: 0:11:53

Data Size: 2.20 GB

Bit Rate: 26.55 Mbps

Video Tracks:

HDV 1080i60, 1440 × 1080, 29.97 fps, 25.00 Mbps

Audio Tracks:

16-bit Big Endian stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps

Stream Files:

20110504-160356G01.mov (2.20 GB)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 2:32 PM

Ok, I figured this out. FCPX can import the HDV .mov's from this DTE, as long as the movie files are flattened before import. The two files that were modified that could be imported were flattened, all the others that couldn't were not.

14 replies

Jul 27, 2011 6:45 AM in response to markclea

Another bit of information here, those mov files that worked didn't get flattened without any input like I thought. It was Adobe CS4 Premiere Pro. I had tested out something with Premiere while installing FCPX, and on import to Adobe Premiere Pro, the file gets automatically flattened when Premiere Pro adds its metadata to it.

Jul 27, 2011 2:15 PM in response to topher1078

You can flatten Quicktime files by opening the file in Quicktime (either Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 Pro), and then doing a "Save as..." and saving a self-contained movie. Do not re-encode the movie as a different codec, just save the file as a movie (Quicktime X) or a self-contained movie (Quicktime 7 Pro). This operation should take about as long as it would normally take to copy the file to a new location.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I'm also noticing that if you have Lion installed, all Quicktime related applications (Compressor, FCP7, even MPEG Streamclip) do not open non-flat Quicktime files as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3215695

Jul 27, 2011 2:33 PM in response to topher1078

Sorry for the long, detailed answer above, and thanks for the link to the Firestore thread; I'm glad someone has talked to Apple about it. I can't seem to easily figure out where or how to submit a bug report for Lion or FCPX through the web.

I really do think it's flat Quicktime files vs. non-flat Quicktime files issue, and once that's fixed/enabled on the Quicktime end (if it ever is), all will be well. If our DTEs get updated with new firmware to fix it, the DTE will make good files from then on, but all my existing footage (hours and hours) will not be usable until I flatten the files.

Jul 29, 2011 7:01 AM in response to BenB

Yeah, I think Focus needs to tweak the way the file is written to the card on the DTE--maybe they can do this with a firmware update of some sort. However, this still leaves files shot in the past without a workaround in Lion--leaving me to believe Apple needs to update the new Quicktime frameworks, if possible.

In Snow Leopard, converting the DTE files is fairly straight forward, simply add metadata to the file, or open and re-save the file in Quicktime. That new file then works in Lion and FCPX.

Since Lion can't open these files at all, there is no way to add metadata to the file, or open it in anything Quicktime related to re-save.

Here are more atom lists from files I made, note that the FTYP atom is missing in the ones that I created, and they still work in Lion/FCPX:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3132042?answerId=15784097022#15784097022

Aug 3, 2011 6:39 AM in response to Craig YES Prep

I found a way to add proper atoms to these clips in Lion using ffmpeg that's bundled with the open source Media Converter. Lion and FCPX can then import/open these clips, with a big caveat.

http://media-converter.sourceforge.net/

I made a preset that makes a MOV container, and just passes the codecs into a MOV container, not re-encoding the file. However, I've noticed that it messes with keyframes of the file, probably due to the fact that it shuffles the mdat atom around in the file (can't be sure of this though). For now, I'm going to steer clear of any new Quicktime framework based software (Lion, FCPX). Oddly enough, the file plays just fine, but when scrubbing through, it's almost as if certain keyframe information is missing.User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2011 3:49 PM in response to markclea

I've been using the "open as QT movie, Save as Movie" workaround to get files to import to FCP X, but today's Security Update (2011-006) suddenly breaks that workaround. After the Security Update is installed I can't open Focus Enhancement DTE files anymore, even though I'm still in Snow Leopard. And you can't uninstall a Security update. Had to restore to yesterday's system using Time Machine, a three hour slog. Would love to hear of an impending solution from Focus Enhancements....???

Apr 12, 2012 9:07 AM in response to markclea

In case anyone is still having this problem, I contacted Focus and they sent me a program that fixes the Quicktime/atom issue. I drop the Quicktime files into the program and it fixes them so that they can be played/imported. See the email message below and contact Focus to get the .dmg file:

Hi Carlos,

Our Quicktime HDV files will not work in Adobe Premiere, however, I do
have a fix for Final Cut Pro. Attached is a beta version of the fix we
have been working on for this issue. Please read the Word document
first. Currently, this fix will not work with Final Cut Pro X. This app
will only work on Quicktime (.mov) HDV clips that were shot on your
recorder and have not been altered at all. Also, converted clips will
not play in Quicktime Player version 10.1, otherwise they should work in
a Mac with Final Cut Pro installed. If you are running version 10.1 of
the Quicktime player, the VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
should play your clips. Please email me back if you have any questions,
or to share your results.

Michael Warner
Technical Support/R.M.A. Rep.
Focus Products
T. 650-230-2429
support@focusinfo.com
http://www.vitecmm.com/focus

Focus Enhancements FSH200 DTE clip import strangeness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.