Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you use ichat with facetime

I have an iphone4 and would like to be able to call home using facetime to chat with my kids. But we do not have 2 iphones. Any ideas?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 12:49 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2011 1:17 PM in response to kennethfromescondido

Hi,

Face Time uses Phone Numbers or Apple IDs registered with Face Time to make contact

iChat uses AIM Names (Those valid with AIM) or Jabber name (including GoogleMail IDs) to make contact (Basically Names registered with Certain IM servers)

iChat cannot contact the Face Time servers so Face Time names cannot be added to any iChat Buddy List.

NOTES.

A MobileMe name ending in @me.com has several functions:-

Obviously it is a working e-mail.

It is an Apple ID (iTunes, Logging in to Communities (once you set up an Alias), On Line Store, MacApp store and Face Time (if Linked)

It is a valid AIM Screen Name (If the password is 16 characters or less).

@Mac.com names have similar Functions less the e-mail part.

Other Apple IDs created from using an external to Apple e-mail address are not Valid AIM Names. Well at least not by just being Apple IDs (you can link an E-mail to a AIM Name registration or use the e-mail itself as a separate action).

User uploaded file
9:17 PM Tuesday; June 28, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 9, 2011 4:25 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

iChat cannot contact the Face Time servers so Face Time names cannot be added to any iChat Buddy List.

might be correct but this is obviously intended. Everything chatty is using /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMCore.framework/imagent.app down in the machine room and guess what /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IMCore.framework/imagent.app/Contents/PlugIns /FaceTime.imservice might provide to an application that knows how to use it.

noses.

can you use ichat with facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.