Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 wallpaper problem

Everytime I log out, the wallpaper resets to the standard aurora. I have to set the wallpaper I want every time I log in. Can this be fixed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 12:53 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2011 1:38 PM in response to owen.christian

I am having the exact same problem running the same version of OSX. Saw a few posts suggesting trashing a few files, I have a feeling it has something to do with the wallpaper file being made available through a network connection. I will try to store the files locally and report my findings.

Bingo..so My 10.6.8 OSX iMac cannot fetch through a network connection ..although the network is connected, auhtorixed and authenticated.

I'll dig into that.

Jul 2, 2011 3:27 PM in response to owen.christian

owen.christian wrote:

Everytime I log out, the wallpaper resets to the standard aurora. I have to set the wallpaper I want every time I log in. Can this be fixed?

Look in your Users/Library/Preferences folder for a file called

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

drag this out and onto your desktoip, reboot and see if that works.

The file gets rebuilt without your preferences so your going to have to set them again and reboot. (to get a different desktop after reboot.

If the file is rebuilt in the Library/Preferences (it should have) then Trash the desktop version

Hopefully that should work.

Nov 20, 2012 12:14 AM in response to owen.christian

Hi all,

I have had this same issue with OS X Lion and it continued on to OS X Mountain Lion as well. I have had the wallpaper switching on me to the default solid blue color whenever I restarted (every month or so) and when switching between users (every other day or so). So this issue was very frustrating having to go back in and reset the wallpaper to my preference whenever I switched to either user. I found a solution that has been working for me for several restarts and several switching of users now:

First, I took some of your advice by locating all of my wallpapers into a 'Wallpaper' folder located in each user's 'Documents' directory. I copied to same wallpapers to each user so both user's have the same wallpapers to choose from.

Then, I installed the latest stable version of 'OnyX' (freeware software). I used OnyX on both user accounts to run through practically all the settings to clean up the entire Mac (Mac Mini, mid 2011) including: Verify [S.M.A.R.T. Status, Structure of volume, and Preferences], Maintenance [Permissions], Cleaning [System cache, User cache, Internet cache, Fonts cache, Log cache, Misc. cache]. I generally left the default checked boxes alone and didn't change any settings and Executed the program to run as default.

After running OnyX, I re-set my wallpapers for each user and went ahead and tested the restarting of the computer and switching back and forth between users. It was very easy to duplicate the bug previously, but now I could not get the wallpaper to switch back to the default blue as before. Everything seems stable with my wallpaper selection now.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks everyone for your input too.

As a side note, my Mac is running much smoother and quicker now too. =)

10.6.8 wallpaper problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.