Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Instal Mac OS 9.2.2 on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz DVI?

Hi Folks,

deadline looming and I'm going a little crazy here. I have an OSX partition and a Mac OS9 partition on the internal HD of my Powerbook Titanium 1Ghz. The OSX partition has 10.4.11 installed and the OS9 partition is currently empty, but I desperately need to install OS 9.2.2.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me, figure out how. I have the original installer DVD. It's called the 'Powerbook G4, 15 inch, Software Install and Restore" disc:

Mac OS version 10.2.3

Mac OS version 9.2.2

DVD version 1.0

Z691-4316-A

When I boot up from this disc it loads into an installer which only gives you one option, to install Mac OS X. Nothing more.

If I boot my Powerbook off the internal 10.4.11 system, insert the 'Powerbook G4, 15 inch, Software Install and Restore" DVD, click on the package called "Install Applications & Mac OS 9" it runs an installer which loads a 1.2mb Software Restore application (only to the boot up partition, not the blank one). And that is the most bizarre thing; when finished all this does is say 'Follow these instructions to restore software onto your computer' and then just shows you a picture of the 'Powerbook G4, 15 inch, Software Install and Restore" and tells you to insert it. But it's already inserted!

Any ideas?

TiBook 1Ghz (DVI), Mac OS 9.2.x, 9600/350, G4 Quicksilver (2000), 22" Cinema Display, Pro Tools M

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 2:57 PM

1 reply

Jun 29, 2011 2:05 AM in response to efunc

I'm pleased to say that I've now got to the bottom of this and if anyone reading this is in a similar position, this is what you need to remember:

It appears that OS9 cannot be installed on its own on a volume. You need to first have Mac OS X 10.2.3 installed. That's the crucial bit. Even under OS X 10.4.11 the "Install Applications & Mac OS 9" installer on the DVD doesn't do a great deal. It behaves as described above. In order to correctly get the installer to install the OS9 stuff you have to run it under 10.2.3. I did this on my blank partition and then deleted the OSX stuff from there.

An annoying workaround, but manageable in this case. Much more of a hassle though if you only have one large partition and a perfectly good installation of Tiger already working though. In this case you would have to install onto an external HD and then drag and drop the OS9 installation back onto your powerbook.

How Do I Instal Mac OS 9.2.2 on my Powerbook G4 1Ghz DVI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.