Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issue with airport! [Solved? i Think So.]

Hi guys,

I just bought my MB white, and i was having some issues with my wifi connection, it drops all the time, sometimes I almost broke my router. But anyway, I though that could be some config on my router, and I tried all the possibilities to config it right, Still drop...

Until today, the day that I possible could fix my problem. I went to System Preferences- Then Network - Advanced - TCP/IP - Set IP6 - And it was Automatically, So i change it to inactive. DONE, I'm connected to my router since 30 minutes without drop my connection...

I live in Brazil, and I have a router TP Link TL-WR541G with less than a year of using and my connection here is by ADSL ( i think so) with speed of 9MB. Really good here in Brazil.

So I think the the issue with WiFi connection was some incompatiblity with IP6 configuration, or something...

I hope this work for you guys too...

Any other issue that happens can send me an e-mail.

Kim Yano.

Sorry if my english isn't so good, i tried my best.

<Email Edited by Host>

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 6:05 AM

Hi,

I don't know how can I edit my post but anyways, i tested my solution in another Mac on the same wireless network and the same config( ip6 automatically), and WORKS!!

I think maybe it will be the solution for a lot of people with the same issue.

Tested on a MacBook Pro.

;D

13 replies

Jun 30, 2011 11:14 AM in response to applenatal

Hi there,

This worked for me, after many, many, many other solutions/hacks failed. I've been searching various discussion boards for months now, trying to fix this issue. Thanks for posting!

I have 1st generation MacBook Pro. After all these years, and a few hardware and software upgrades, it's still running strong. However, I began experiencing connectivity problems with the release of Snow Leopard. The problem has gotten progressively worse and worse over the last couple years. I've tried several solutions, taken it to the genius bar, spoken with apple support, purchased new routers, etc. Nothing has worked long term. I travel often, and have connected to various types of routers, in several countries. I can usually connect easily the first time, it's maintaining that connection, and reconnecting to a saved network that becomes a problem. It's as though the Airport "forgets" the network and password, sometimes. I enter the information over and over, and the connection just times out. Sometimes, it does not see any networks at all, when my iPhone is happily connected to the local network. I wondered if it was my Airport failing after all these years, but this solution has allowed me to connect wirelessly for the first time in days. My fingers are crossed, that this is the magic solution… 🙂

Jul 15, 2011 1:00 PM in response to applenatal

Well , well , well - after 8 months of sheer hellish frustration this simple action has resolved an issue that apple seems to be refusing to help with.I've blamed everything from my router to the search engine ,to my isp and my husband for setting it up incorrectly (nearly ended up in the divorce courts !). Now is all sweetness and light thanx to you. XX

Jul 22, 2011 2:07 AM in response to applenatal

I tried this and lo and behold it worked -FOR A WHILE- but now I am back to the same situation - wireless connection drops out and Airport keeps trying to reconnect at first then gives up and just sits there.I have had this problem since new and went to a so called "genius" who checked everything she knew and have tried several other suggested solutions all to no avail. We all know this is a disgrace and saying that it only applies to a few users is no help to the rest of us. It saddens me greatly that a corporation such as Apple do nothing to help with this product fault. Thanks to all the posters that take the trouble to pass on their experiences - rest assured that if I find any magic bullet I will pass it on but at this moment I just feel dreadfully let down.

Jul 25, 2011 4:46 AM in response to applenatal

Hi people,

I have a bad news and a good news.

First i will give the bad news. With some time my solution stop working and started to dropping again.

Now the good news. Changing my networks name to a longer name and changing the channel to 11 with my other solution (inactive IP 6) all my problems gone. Now i'm using my Macbook and an iMac without any problems at all. I'm connect since friday without any drop.

I saw this thing about the network name in another post here in Discussions.

So i hope this work for people who start to drop connection again.

If this discussion helped you, please give us your message.

Jul 25, 2011 10:21 AM in response to applenatal

That is a strange one - I have already changed my wireless channel from 11 to a different one in response to a post entry some time ago and it helped for a while then back to dropping out about a week later - so don't be surprised if the same happens to you.(sorry to be such a pessimist)

I have changed so many things and each time it seems to be ok for a while then it starts dropping out again.It seems that the firmware (or software) associated with Airport readjusts itelf somehow back to the "bad" condition every time. I am now checking my neighbours wireless connection to see if that is the trigger - they are on a different channel and a different router/ ISP and shows a weaker signal and I have set the preferences to recognise my wireless only but I am suspicious of the way Airport goes looking for a signal even when my wireless is connected and shows a good signal level. I am beginning to think that is where the problem lies. Are you listening Mr Apple?

issue with airport! [Solved? i Think So.]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.