Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 music music stops - keeps pausing

I've had an iPhone 4 for over a year. For Most of that time I didn't use it as an iPod. Occasionally I would play music, but mostly for media I watched videos that I either converted myself or bought from iTunes.

I'm running 4.3.3. When I try to listen to music that is stored on the iPhone, the music will start to cut out. At first, it's a fade, like how the music will fade if you get an email so you can hear the email alert. Then it will stutter and I'll see the pause button change back and forth between pause and play and then it will settle on pausing the music. Some songs it will 'only' happen 5-6 times in the song, but others it might be every 5-10 seconds. It 'acts' like a bit rate problem, as if it's getting overwhelmed and then can't keep up. The same way a cheap DVD player starts acting before it dies.

This happens on nearly every song. My music is about evenly split between 128 bit and 256, although I'm not sure what the latest iTunes downloads are when downloading directly to my phone. If I reboot the phone it will work for awhile before it starts to cut out. I still have 1 GB of empty space.

I can't say when exactly this problem started, as I've noticed it occasionally before, but in the past few days I've started re-downloading many of my purchased tracks from iTunes, since Apple announced the re-download feature.

This happens whether I'm using the earphones or just playing through the speaker.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2, 4.3.3

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 7:49 PM

5 replies

Aug 6, 2011 7:58 AM in response to Brian burrow

This is the post that describes more acurately my problem....

I described to a friend as if i was using headphones (which im not) and then i pull the cable... So it pauses....

The thing is i started noticing as brian says that it happens in pandora

But what really bothers me is that my baby loves the babytv app so when she is looking at it it pauses every minute or so... This is very very anoying... Ive been using this iphone for about a year and it started giving me problems with the last iphone update (4.3.5)

Please if someone finds something post it here...

Its an iphone 4

Sep 11, 2011 9:24 AM in response to Brian burrow

I have had an iPhone4 for less than a week. I have just downloaded my first song and it is doing this. When I hit Play a little Play icon appears at the top right near the battery symbol, as well as the play symbol in the centre bottom of the App. About 20 seconds later it'll switch back to pause, the music will stop, the symbol at the top will dissapear, and then a second later it starts playing again, it then does this again a few seconds later, and will sometimes completely stop 😟

Sep 20, 2011 3:31 PM in response to Brian burrow

This solution is a little obvious, but in the absence of any other help, I'll throw it out there.

I've had my Iphone for a little over a week and used the headphones for the first time the other day. I was having the same problem described above. I'd play music and it would pause/stop every 20 seconds or so. I have a Ballistic case for my phone and it's pretty thick at the top. My Aux jack felt like it was seated all the way in...but it wasn't. When I pressed very firmly on it, it pushed down into the case just a little bit and snapped into place. Works fine now. I think when it was seated loosely, it was tripping the pause feature that happens when you unplug your headphones.

Lemme know if this helps.

iphone 4 music music stops - keeps pausing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.