Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on FCPX Splash Screen

I have obviously done something to totally screw (er, corrupt) my installation of FCPX as now when I launch the app, I only get the FCPX splash screen and the menu bar. Selecting any option from the Window menu shows me nothing. The splash screen says "Restoring the window layout", but nothing is shown but a large dark gray screen.

Prior to this, I was also unable to view Project List, and I could consistently get FCPX to crash by just trying to Create New Project. I've sent a half-dozen crash reports to Apple tonight. I'm guessing my Project database is corrupt and I will need to take some action to re-create.

Anyone else seen this or know how to get me out of this situation?

Grazie.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 2:39 PM

I finally figured out how to fix the Grey Screen of Death

look for this:

System Drive:Users:YourUser:Library:Application Support:Final Cut Pro:Layouts

Delete anything in the Layouts folder. Then relaunch FCPX, it should launch correctly.

18 replies

Aug 5, 2011 3:56 AM in response to jstead204

Hi,

I'm no expert, but this is what I did and it worked. (I'm using a MBP 8gb with Lion) I MOVED the two directories Final Cut Projects and Final Cut Events across to Documents in Finder. I then created two new folders of the same name in movies folder (Final Cut Projects & Final Cut Events) and the opened FCP-X! No problem! I then closed FCP-X and moved my folders back to the movies directory (Which overwrote the empty folders I had just created) and opened FCP-X again, and all is well. I did not lose any of my work which I had created prior to the crash!

Aug 11, 2011 7:50 AM in response to jstead204

We are experiencing a similar problem where FCPX loads but just comes up as one large grey window. Our operating system is Lion and I wondered if anyone has had a solution that works in Lion? I couldn't find the same file associations that were described in this thread so I was guessing they were maybe from systems running Snow Leopard? (Primarily, we couldn't find a "Final Cut Pro" layouts folder) Any help is greatly appreciated!

The problem began when one our FCPX projects crashed and then wouldn't reopen. We removed the project and event from the Final Cut folders which allowed FCPX to reopen except that it went to this grey screen rather than showing the windows. Everything else (tool bar, dialog boxes, etc.) is functional. We have re-installed both FCPX and Lion with no improvement. Thanks again.

Sep 4, 2011 5:32 PM in response to BYUCougars

If you are in Lion, you have to use the Go menu in the finder, but hold Option down when selecting it, that will make the user Library item appear in the list of available locations you can "go" to. Then you should be able to dig into the library folder to find that layours folder. Now if you did that and the folder in question is missing...I have no idea.

Dec 23, 2011 4:22 AM in response to David87654321

The gray screen of death also happened to me. Deleting the layouts in the FCP X application support fixed the problem. Have to delete all the layouts in this folder. When you restart FCP, the layout is restored. Have no idea why this happened and seeing that gray screen for the first time will make your heart jump out of your chest. Thank God for this support community.

Dec 23, 2011 4:27 AM in response to BYUCougars

Actually I do know how this happened. I was starting up FCPX but it got stuck trying to load an event from my last project and would never finish the load-up. The spinning pinwheel of death continued to sping so I did a force quit. Went to the movies folder and deleted the event. This fixed the stalled load-up problem before. I have had students with the same problem and did this trick with them with the same success. However, this time the gray screen O'Death was my new response. Lucky me.

Dec 8, 2012 11:09 PM in response to jstead204

I had a similar problem with FCPX sticking at the splash screen, this procedure worked for me.

Go to ~/Library/Caches and delete the "com.apple.audiounits.cache" file.

Then launch Logic Pro/Audio Units Manager and rescan all the audio plug-ins.

FCPX should then startup normally.

If you don't have Logic Pro/Audio Units Manager try removing third-party audio plugins at ~/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components

Stuck on FCPX Splash Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.