Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gracenotes causing hang on import of CD

I'm having a problem importing a specific CD into iTunes (10.3.1, Win7, 64bit). I haven't ever run into this kind of problem before.

In short, my attempts to import this CD always result in iTunes hanging during the import, saying "Communicating with Gracenote..." and then sits there. Nothing gets imported. I don't know if it would eventually go, because I haven't waited more than two minutes before hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete and nuking the process in Windows' Program Manager.

The album is the new one from Queensryche, "Dedicated to Chaos". A little background about what I did. First time I put the CD in, I noticed that the database has the band's name as Queensrÿche, and not just Queensryche. I don't like the umlaut there, so I changed it to a regular Y.

After the hang, I looked around for this issue, and found an older post in the archives here about this, saying that there's a long standing bug where if you change the artist field it will cause this. Now I know I've changed this before and haven't run into the Gracenote problem. Still, that's the only reference I could find to this.

So I went back, and requeried Gracenote and made the band name have the umlaut in it again, but it causes the same problem. I checked with a different CD, and that imported fine, and tried the Queensryche one again - hangs again. It's just this one disc apparently that is getting hung. Whether it's something about this specific title, or it was my changing of the artist name, I have no idea at this point.

Anyone have any idaes how to get around this? Is there a way to go into the local DB of what iTunes knows, and remove this entry, and have iTunes think I've never inserted this CD before? Kind of annoying, this is. I'm half tempted to rip it with Windows Media Player and use those files, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Thx for any help.

Message was edited by: Joe Siegler - clarified somethign.

Custom Built, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 8:52 PM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2011 8:13 AM in response to jtopliss

Same problem here, same setup (Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit with SP1, iTunes and I just installed Windows 7 clean on Sunday, so there is nothing installed that could be causing the problem.

It only happens with some CDs, others import just fine.

Right now two that have given me issue are:

Bob & Tom, Back in 98, Disk 2

Vico C, Vivo

I'll add disks to this list as edits as I plow though my library ripping the yet again, not much option on using a different program to rip these as I'm re-ripping my library as Apple Lossless.

Jun 29, 2011 9:15 AM in response to Joe Siegler

Well it seems that I can't edit my first post so here goes yet another post.

two more disk failed and I got fed up with it. I bought dbPowerAmp ages ago and went to check on it and it has the ability to rip into Apple Lossless so I downloaded and installed it and the disks that failed on iTunes were ripped without any issues. So long iTunes ripping.

Jun 29, 2011 9:52 AM in response to felixortiz

same problem : with win7 64 bit & win vista 32bit; different versions of i-tunes; different audio CD's

if i start the import -> "Communicating with Gracenote...".

If I never opened a random disk with I-tunes before and I have enabled "Automatically retrieve CD track names from internet" in the preferences i can import all songs into my library without any problem (without any track datas too), but after you get the CD track names from gracenote it all goes back to the all known problem.

Jun 29, 2011 10:25 AM in response to Sven G.

I have a similar problem.

iTunes makes the initial connection with Gracenote, pulls the disc and song information down and starts to import the first song.

I then get the "Communicating with Gracenote" status which hangs there for al loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

I cam back after an hour and found one CD had imported, but being that I went fairly wild at Amoeba this weekend, I ahve a lot of stuff I want to import and at an hour a disc, I feel like I stepped back into 1999.

Thanks iTunes.

Gracenotes causing hang on import of CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.