Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Apple ID being locked out every time I go to use it? I haven't even attempted to log in for about 4 or 5 days, but today on my first attempt to do so, it said my account had been locked for security reasons. This is the third time.

I only sign in to iTunes' store about once a week or so. But during each of my last 3 attempts (on different days, several days apart) on my first attempt to enter my password and hit submit, I am immediately told that my Apple account has been locked for security reasons and it wants to take me to a page to reset my 'forgotten' password. I am using the CORRECT password.

Perhaps someone else is trying to break into my account or is mis-entering theirs but my account should not be getting locked like this. It is very frustrating to have to go through the reset password procedure each and every time I want to go into the store. It seems to me that Apple really doesn't want me to buy any more apps from them as they keep refusing me entry into my own account, each and every time I have tried to use it, for the past few weeks. I am not their best customer, but they aren't giving me much of a welcome invitation to become one, if I'm going to be treated like this.

I just bought my iPhone 4 less than 2 months ago. I paid extra money to upgrade early, just to get this phone because it was so highly recommended by everyone I spoke with in different stores (BestBuy and Verizon). I even bought the 2 year upgrade to my Apple services in case I needed to ever call them, and so far I haven't had to, yet. But I definitely will call them if this isn't straightened out.

It looks like this other user could be tracked and an email could be sent to them from Apple to let them know what they are doing - trying to sign into the wrong account, and are locking somebody else out of their own account because of their error....and to remind them of their correct information or how to get it and to write it down or save it somewhere so they don't keep on doing this.

I have seen literally DOZENS of other people in these discussions with exactly the same issue that I'm having so it is NOT an isolated incident, and it seems to be a growing problem as Apple's sales and user base continues to grow, so this problem is seriously needing to be addressed in some way, and soon, before they start losing new customers because of it. If I was still within my original 14 day return period with this phone, I would definitely be returning it and buying an Android model because of how frustrating this is to me. If my bank was doing this to me, I'd have already switched banks by now if they hadn't fixed it - just to give an example of how I feel about this.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2017 8:58 AM

Same here. Every week, me, my wife, our Apple TV, my Father-in-Law are locked out from our account. My wife now has an Android phone, and I'm using a PC at work because Apple hasn't updated the Trash Can in quite a while. C'mon, Apple. I started with an Apple IIe back in the 80's, and I've been loyal ever since; but if you continue to make things difficult.......

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2017 8:58 AM in response to alanfromjc

Same here. Every week, me, my wife, our Apple TV, my Father-in-Law are locked out from our account. My wife now has an Android phone, and I'm using a PC at work because Apple hasn't updated the Trash Can in quite a while. C'mon, Apple. I started with an Apple IIe back in the 80's, and I've been loyal ever since; but if you continue to make things difficult.......

Jun 30, 2011 1:07 PM in response to alanfromjc

This is pretty ridiculous, it's not any growing issue on iTunes' end. You must have a family member, friend, or even an enemy who is trying to log in to your iTunes store account repeatedly. I've had an iTunes account for so many years I can't even remember and never had the issue you're describing so maybe you should get a brand new email address and change the email associated with your account so nobody else can keep trying to guess your password.

Jun 30, 2011 10:09 PM in response to imanog

It's not ridiculous - this has started happening to me as well when I got my iPad after years of never having this problem. Now about once a week I'm being locked out. This is either a problem with too many devices or may be that I've been traveling a lot recently, or it may have something to do with the MobileMe update that's happening (god knows MobileMe isn't known for its flawless performance). I don't know - and neither does apple - have had several chat sessions with customer service and they've been totally clueless about it.

Just because something hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's not real. I've never gotten cancer, that doesn't mean that cancer patients are 'ridiculous'.

Jul 31, 2011 8:16 AM in response to alanfromjc

This is also happening to me!

I was living in the Czech Republic for 4 months and having this happen every week. I've now been back in the UK for 2 months and it is still happening every week, sometimes it is even asking me to enter the security code from the back of my card.

I am sure nobody is trying to log into my account as I am protective of my email address, not to mention my password.

Is there any way to make a direct complaint to Apple? They seem to be ignoring this issue so far!!

Aug 11, 2011 1:07 PM in response to alanfromjc

What's ridiculous is that there are literally thousands of posts like this out there on various boards, many of them Apple's. This issue has been ongoing and unanswered for a long time.

I too have this problem and am utterly fed up with it.

It's a disgrace that a company who is so self-avowed to user friendly design has let this go on for so long. Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by making it unnecessarily and inordinately difficult for their users to purchase the very products and services that attracted them to Apple in the first place.

I love my iPhone but I've given up on the App Store and iTunes. Enjoy not getting my money until you fix this stupidity.

Feb 11, 2014 6:52 AM in response to alanfromjc

For what it's worth, you posted this in 2011, and here in 2014 I am still having this same issue. Over the last two days, I have had to unlock my apple account 8 times. I didn't get any new devices. I haven't initiated a password reset. I didn't forget my password. I set up two factor authentication and have been able to do the unlocking with the key and using a code sent to one of my devices.

That all works.

It's this having to unlock my account every time I go to use any of my devices. And I have many: iMac, iPad, iPad2, iPad mini, iPhone 5s, iPod touch (daughter), and my old iPhone 4 being used as an ipod touch now. They are all synced, and all was working just fine.

I have initiated an incident with Apple (again) but I know they are just going to suggest I change my Apple ID. It's a simple one, and one that I am sure others think is theirs. I don't want to change it. I shouldn't have to. Apple should be able to tell me who is trying to use it, or at least from where.

Thanks for listening,

Melissa

May 25, 2016 11:24 AM in response to alanfromjc

every... single... day

I can't believe this has not been addressed or responded to.

Simply, Apple could force a password reset ONLY if the attempt happened on a device registered to your account.

I'm seriously thinking I have to revert to my old Gmail account as I never had this problem in the 20+ years of the same gmail account (literally the same -------@gmail.com and -------@me.com

Sep 13, 2016 1:39 PM in response to alanfromjc

Sept 13 2016 started to have the same problem, have had to change my password now 5 times in 2 weeks just to access my e-mail. I think it may be my phone/linkedin/every other account i set up with this @icloud.com email are set up to auto log in. I'm going to try to clear all these accounts and will post again if it works.

Why is my Apple ID being locked out every time I go to use it? I haven't even attempted to log in for about 4 or 5 days, but today on my first attempt to do so, it said my account had been locked for security reasons. This is the third time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.