Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is AirDrop Only for Mac Users?

I Need ℹ Please.

OS X LION

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 12:19 AM

12 replies

Jul 7, 2011 8:40 AM in response to 72yehuda

Lion will only be usable between Lion users Each user must be running Lion 10.7 to use Airdrop

PLUS

Airdrop will NOT WORK on some older macs even though you can run LION on them.

I think Apple should have made this clear in LARGE PRINT when saying what the minimum specs were for 😠upgrading to Lion.

Apple **** a little more each day 😟

Jul 20, 2011 1:21 PM in response to 72yehuda

Only Macs running Mac OS X Lion that are supported on the following list can utilize AirDrop.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

AirDrop

supports the following Mac models:

• MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)
  • iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

Jul 27, 2011 3:00 PM in response to xebeche00

This was not made clear when Apple launched Lion and was one of the main reasons for me purchasing 2 copies of the OS. My wife's Mac Book identifies Air Drop but my older iMac does not!! I am furious about this and believe that Apple should make amends or provide a fix for the problem.

P.S. I had checked beforehand that both our Macs met the minimum technical requirements specified by Apple .....

Jul 27, 2011 3:40 PM in response to 72yehuda

I read the list of features available and noticed that, although my early 2008 MBP would run Lion, airdrop was a feature would not work. I have not downloaded Lion yet, as I'm checking to see if any other apps (3rd party) that I have will not work. Then I will decide. It IS in the list, though, if you read it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.