Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview font problems

My utility company (EDF) now only provides energy bills online in pdf format. They show up on screen fine but if I try to print or save them, the signisficant (variable) parts are scrambled. This problem does not occur if I access them via Windows/IE: I can save, open and print fine. Saved Windows files can be opened in Adobe Acrobat Pro on the Mac and work fine, but although Preview can open them, I get the same problem with save or print.

So this seems to be a Mac OS X/Preview issue.

The pdf files are pdf v 1.4 generated by StreamServe Communication Server 5.3.0 GA Build 475. They contain 4 embedded, subsetted TrueType fonts: AA0101+FrutigerLTStd-Bold, AA0201-FrutigerLTStd-Roman, AA0301+FrutigerLTStd-Italic, and ArialMT. If I open a file saved by Preview into Acrobat Pro it complains that it cannot find or create the font 'MMDFNT+AA0101+FrutigerLTStd-Bold, so I guess this is the culprit. I imagine this is a font encoding issue?

Has anyone else encountered this or similar problem, or can suggest a workaround that doesn't involve firing up Windows/IE/Acrobat?

(I am using 10.6.7 on a MacPro)

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 1:10 AM

15 replies

Jun 29, 2011 6:11 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

I have to point out that I use preview under the same circumstances (different bank probably) with no problems at all, I have no copy of Reader installed and have yet to need it.

That's great! But there is no way to predict when you will wind up with a pdf that Preview cannot handle and Reader does it just fine. There are countless examples of that in these forums, so when someone does have a problem, the first advice is always to try Reader and see if that solves it.

Jun 29, 2011 7:10 AM in response to chrisfromhopewell

chrisfromhopewell wrote:

I would download AR and use that to open files that preview has trouble with. Instead of changing to open all of them control-click it and choose open with AR.

Chris

Yes that would be a good plan except the site in question has a button rather than a link, and ctrl-clicking + saving the 'linked file' saves the web page .html file... I think clicking (not ctrl clicking) the download button fires a script that causes the utility bill to be generated as pdf on the fly. there seems to be no way of saving it as pdf before it has displayed in Preview or AR.

May 2, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Chris Bunch

Hi,

hope you you did solve the problem already...

In 10.9 the problem still seems to exist - just wanted to print a bill from Vodafone Germany, and while fine in the Preview App, the printout contained only boxes.

I've tried to save it as another PDF file with the same result (only boxes).

So I saved it as Postscript, and converted it back to PDF (/usr/bin/pstopdf).

This worked at least for the Vodafone PDF.

May 3, 2014 2:16 PM in response to DROP DATABASE users

The main issue is that Adobe keeps adding new features to Acrobat Pro, which changes, or adds to the complexity of the PDF files it creates. Apple has always had to play catch-up with Preview so that is also can read newer versions of the PDF format.

That is the basic problem. Apple will keep improving Preview in Mavericks, and maybe Mountain Lion, but anything older is stagnant. The further we get away from the older versions of Preview as the PDF format keeps changing, the more likely older versions of Preview will fail to properly open PDF files.

Preview font problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.