Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aaf export

soundtrack pro 3 offers the option to export a multirack project in aaf format. as far as good. but I can't find the option to choose in which bit depth the files are rendered. I need a bit depth in 24 bit.

anyone know how to choose the bit depth?

I tried to change the prject properties in 24 bit, open a new project and copying all files in the new rack, then export to aaf. rendered files still in 16 bit.

thank you in advance.

imac 27 i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 7:01 AM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2011 9:27 AM in response to stabilo pen

Alphabet soup!!

Do you mean AIF (AIFF)? AAF would be more about exporting the project rather than the actual files, so i don't think there would be any conversion involved.

When I answered, I was thinking of AAC export, which does not seem to support 24 bit. AIF, on the other hand would be a pro file format that a sound engineer would use and that does support 24 bit.

Jun 29, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Paul Cuciti

thanks for your reply,

no, i mean exporting the hole multirack project via AAF. By doing this, using export as AAF, stp generates single files for each clip in the stp timeline. but, all this new generated files are all rendered in 16bit depth, even the source files was originally in 24bit depth. they all got down converted.

my sound engineer asked the 24 bit depth for the further mixing session.

so as mentioned above, I exported every track as a single aiff file. in this case the 24bit option work without problems.

my last question, just for understanding reason. does stp not allow an aaf export in 24bit depth? by using in FCP the option audio to OMF, there is a option to choose the bit depth and the sampling rate, why not in STP?

Jun 29, 2011 10:52 PM in response to Paul Cuciti

thank you paul,

I tried this option before I wrote the first post. Still the same result. the rendered sound files remains in 16 bit. I tried with a new test project. export as AAF, the checkbox 24bit activated and reimport the AAF in STP. the audio files are down scaled to 16bit.

anyway thank you kindly for your replies. as far a I see, the better opion by further postproduction is whether assembling the audio track in FCP and export them via OMF or by remaining in STP export the hole track at once.

Jun 30, 2011 7:47 PM in response to stabilo pen

OK. But my curiosity continues, if you don't mind. I haven't had occasion to use STP for AAF export before, except in tests, but my logic is telling me (logic with a small 'l' , not Logic the software pgm) that AAF is exporting the project and either referencing the media or packaging it for export. If it is referencing the media, then it has no business transcoding it. If it is packaging the media by duplicating it, perhaps it does not up-rez it. If the original material was 16bit, it will not magically get more 'resolution', just as an SD video does not become HD just because I transcode it to 1080i.

That being said, perhaps i should ask: "Was the orig. material 24bit?"

Jul 3, 2011 11:51 PM in response to Paul Cuciti

hello paul.

the answer is yes. the source files was in 24bit and 96khz. recorder with an sound device 722 hard drive recorder.

stp does not referencing the material, the material was duplicated and packed in a new folder by giving them strange names like "..._channel_005_6BB7FADA-3688-484C-84A9-DDE4E05C6A6F.aif"

thank you for your curiosity, this is the way to solve troubles.

aaf export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.