Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is time machine fatal error -8089

10.6.8 messed up my user accounts so I thought I'd do a restore from Time Machine. Unfortunately TM erases the disc and then hangs with the error -8089

seems to be an hmac.3ssl.gz problem.

17" MacBookPro and MacMini running X server, Mac OS X (10.5.4), airport, multi external drives etc

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 8:28 AM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2011 3:52 PM in response to ds store

Um that shouldn't be needed. Looks like time machine (and most of apple) doesn't like case sensitive drives AND time machine is bugged so that it can't recover to a case sensitive if the backup was made from a case sensitive drive. I am trying some stuff with rsync to see if I can get it working and will post here if I do.

I never went in thinking t-m was bootable so that comment, though maybe helpful to someone else, did nothing for me (the rest of that last sentence didn't really make sense).

Anyway, I have my t-m backups on an external drive and a new external now has a fresh copy of 10.6.8 which I cloned to the old drive. I booted into the backup 10.6.8 and opened terminal and am trying to do an rsync from the t-m file (one of the backups, trying an older one first) to the original drive.

A little UNIX goes a lot further then your "profesisonal Mac Friendly data recovery service" and it's a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Jun 30, 2011 12:37 PM in response to thecros

Here is an update.

There were about eight files with case sensitive names (most of them xxx.3ssl.gz files in the man3 folder and one mailbox file) I went into time machine on another boot volume and deleted the case sensitive duplicates and then was able to restore from my backup.

Root was still messed up when I restarted so I opened the workgroup manager, selected my root account (show system accounts), and then switched it to not use open directory. I then restarted, went back to workgroup manager and switched it back to open directory and typed a new password. Has worked fine so far.

When I restored I restored to 10.6.7 so now it's time to (after I run a TM backup on my newly reformatted NON case sensitive drive and clone the working system to my new clone drive) re upgrade to 10.6.8 and see if I need to try the Open Directory trick again, or if things will just work.

Saved a bunch of money and time (unless you take into account that I could have brought this all in a week ago and they MIGHT have figured it out by now).

What is time machine fatal error -8089

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.