Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Preview how print in black & white?

From Preview I would like to print a document in black & white. In the print dialog box there are absolutely no options to simply print in black & white. I am not sure if this dialog is a function of Preview or my printer though. Seems like a simple enough option....

My profile may say OS 10.5.8 but I have updated and am now on Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 8:42 AM

After selecting Print, you need to click on the Paper Type/Quality tab, then select click on Colour and select grayscale.

15 replies

Jul 6, 2017 10:22 PM in response to Christopher Davis2

Hi, I'm using the latest version of MacOS Sierra. Have an Epson Workforce 625 printer but that's probably irrelevant to most people.

I struggled with this for a few minutes, but luckily thought "I'll click on the Preview drop down menu just to see what other options there are".

User uploaded file

One of the options from the drop down menu was "Print Settings", and sure enough, the option seems to be in there.

User uploaded file

Jul 12, 2017 5:51 PM in response to clliiii

Yes, that does work - but it would be nice if the "preview" reflected that the B&W option is selected! (mine still shows the preview in color, even thought it actually prints B&W. Also, if you open in PDF, or save in PDF, it doesn't show that in B&W either! Would be nice to be able to review something exactly as it will print, BEFORE printing it. Save a few trees...

Oct 12, 2017 11:04 AM in response to clliiii

2017 and I have a Canon driver that hides this again. It's pretty clear this is not a mistake by Canon and others. They make their money from selling ink, so when people (unnecessarily) print in colour, they sell more of it. It's the same reason, Canon won't even let you print in black & white if one of your coloured inks is empty (even if you have a plenty of black ink). This screams out for Apple to standardize as they always did in the past. It's crippling UX in order to force ink sales.

Jun 29, 2011 8:48 AM in response to John Guo

There is no color select option. That is what I wsa looking for, but it's not there.

Under "Paper Type/Quality" there is

"Paper Type" (I select Plain)

"Quality" I select Normal or Fast Draft

"Source" (Tray 1 or whatever by default)

That's it.

I also opened it up in Adobe Reader and it was the same print dialog box. I can't believe this is so difficult. It seems like absolutely the most basic thing in the world.

Jun 29, 2011 9:05 AM in response to John Guo

I must be on Planet Mars or something I can't believe this is such a hassle. Shouldn't there be some easier way? SInce I don't have hours and hours and hours to continue to deal with this (hunting printer drivers, etc) I guess I'll have to save as black & white then print.

Thanks Apple!

UPDATE: Ok I found it. "Color Option" is a teency weency at the very bottom with a drop down triangle where you can then select grayscale. It totally disappeared and appears to be some vanishing afterthought. Well that only took 45 minutes to print in black & white.

Oct 7, 2015 11:23 AM in response to DaniTessa

I just noticed that Preview doesn't give me colour options when I'm printing to our laser (B&W only) printer, but if I choose the colour inkjet printer it adds Color Options to the drop down list (Paper feed, Layout, etc. list) so it must depend on the printer drivers.

From what I can tell, this "Color Option" drop down is not part of Preview by default but only shows up when the selected printer supports it. However, I have had some luck choosing Export then save with either a b&w or greyscale Quartz filter as etresoft suggested above.

Dec 20, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Christopher Davis2

I just had the same problem my self. But!, after a little searching and trial and error, I finally figured it out.

In this Print Preview version (for Canon printers?) you have to go to the "Quality & Media" drop down menu. Once there select "Custom" under "Print Quality". Selecting "Custom" reveals a checkbox for "Grayscale Printing". Check it and you are then able to print in black & white.

Only took 5 years!

But hopefully this will help someone else

In Preview how print in black & white?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.