Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup external HD does not appear in Migration Assistant disk selection window.

My Time Machine Backup external HD does not appear in Migration Assistant disk selection window How can I get it to show up so I can restore my files.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), My Book USB external hard drive

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 12:40 PM

9 replies

Jun 29, 2011 4:38 PM in response to glennfromdenver

Does anything show up? It should have a green or yellow icon, but will have the name of the Computer and drive that were backed-up, not the name of the backup drive.

If it really doesn't appear, try repairing the backups, per #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

And, are you sure you want to use Migration Assistant, instead of Setup Assistant? If not, see How do I set up a new Mac from my old Mac or its backups?

Nov 3, 2012 8:33 PM in response to katorama

To do a full system restore, you don't use Migration Assistant.

Instead, see Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #14.

If the backups don't appear there, they may be damaged. Try to repair them, per #A5 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

EDIT: It's late here, and I'm going to bed soon, but will be back online tomorrow.

Message was edited by: Pondini

Nov 6, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Pondini

I did a clean install of Mountain Lion (this is the first time for doing a clean install of an operating system since my original purchase of my MacBoo Pro four years ago) and so far I've been able to recover all of my files, pictues, apps and music, thanks to iCloud and using Finder to access my archived Time Machine backup. But I'm stuck on how to recover the emails that I had saved to my Mac. I have recovered all of the email saved on my email server accounts, but not the ones that I had saved to a local folder in Mail. My problem is similar to "trouble me's", except Migration Assistant does see my archived backup on the drive attached to my Time Capsule. But it gets stuck on "Connecting." I left Migration Assistant running for hours, yet the status never changes. Like I stated above, I can mount and search the archived backup using Finder and copy and paste the files I want recovered. Any suggestions on what I need to do to recover the emails saved in Mail to a local folder?

Nov 6, 2012 10:49 PM in response to trouble me

Tried connecting my USB drive directly to my laptop, but the drive doesn't show up in Finder nor Migration Assistant. However it does appear up in Disk Utility. While in Disk Utility I ran a verify disk check which was good and I ran it on both partitions. Again everything checked out good. Even stranger, is that when I plug this external drive into Time Capsule it shows up in Finder and Migration Assistant.

Time Machine Backup external HD does not appear in Migration Assistant disk selection window.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.