Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X and GoPro's 1280x960 (960p) Sequence Preset?

Hi All,

I am trying out FCP X on my mates computer.. I am using a GoPro camera on a 4:3 resolution on 1280x960 (960p).. But it seems you cannot ADD a 'Sequence Preset' to the new FCP to accomodate this frame size?

I don't want to CROP the footage to a 720p.. There is a reason I shot in a 4:3 format as when mounted on a surfboard, you get much better height in the frame.. So I want to keep it in a 4:3 resolution..

Can someone please help? FCP 9 seemed to do it.. ???

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 3:48 PM

I just ran into this issue as well. I use my GoPro for mountain bike videos and like the extra height that the 960p setting gives. Seems like right now the best way to handle this is to set the project properties at 1280X720 and then chose spatial conform type: fit. This maintains the 4:3 aspect ration so we don't lose the height but reduces overall resolution down to 720p and adds black bars on both sides of the video. These could be cropped out using another program but that adds even more work.

Please, Apple add in a 1280x960 setting. The GoPro is one of the most popular cameras for sports videography. It has been used in many feature length films and all video sizes should be supported. This seems like another oversight that could have been easily avoided.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2011 3:48 PM in response to r1mick

I just ran into this issue as well. I use my GoPro for mountain bike videos and like the extra height that the 960p setting gives. Seems like right now the best way to handle this is to set the project properties at 1280X720 and then chose spatial conform type: fit. This maintains the 4:3 aspect ration so we don't lose the height but reduces overall resolution down to 720p and adds black bars on both sides of the video. These could be cropped out using another program but that adds even more work.

Please, Apple add in a 1280x960 setting. The GoPro is one of the most popular cameras for sports videography. It has been used in many feature length films and all video sizes should be supported. This seems like another oversight that could have been easily avoided.

Jun 29, 2011 5:07 PM in response to kevin52

Thanks Kevin..

YEah.. the 960p res. support is a MUST for Apple.. Seriously.

One thing I notice wehn I have done your "Spatial Fit" resolution.. is that besides getting black bars on the sides (as expected) it also seems to make black bars at the top and bottom as well.. (when viewing clip back in fullscreen mode).. Which is just making a 720p clip with an even smaller ACTUAL video centred inside it..

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Jun 29, 2011 7:13 PM in response to r1mick

Hmmm. I only had the black border all around when I tried using one of the 1080p presets. Make sure in your project properties that the project is sized at 1280x720 (click on the film reel on the bottom left of the application, then click on properties in the top right windowpane area). With this size preset, and spatial conform to fit I only have the side bars. Make sure that transform, crop, and distort are deselected.

FCP X and GoPro's 1280x960 (960p) Sequence Preset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.