Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu-ray

How come these "super Drives" are not blu-ray compatable? sense they are not is there an external blu-ray drive that will read and write blu-ray that will work with my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 5:16 PM

18 replies

Oct 2, 2011 2:10 PM in response to Csound1

Ever heard about manned space flights? Ever been in space yourself?

Sadly there are gazillion of wonderful, strange and horrible things that we'll never experience in person - life is short.

Look, there was nothing personal in my post - it just happens that two weeks ago I got to know about it.

And if it matters for you I have a friend who watches blu-ray on mac.

Aug 23, 2012 7:21 AM in response to CollegeMacLover

From Experience...I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro and it will burn a bluray data disc,using a USB bus powered LaCie portable bluray drive. The problem is with verification, which most often fails, but the data files are there and intact. I don't trust the burn because I don't want to take the time to verify each file burned myself. I'm fairly satisfied with multiple DVDs that can be verified and only use the Bluray for large files etc.

Aug 23, 2012 7:52 AM in response to CollegeMacLover

It is patently silly, if not outright hilarious to see self-professed "pundits" insist on arguing something that only proves their ignorance of how computer hardware works.

Apple does NOT support, has NOT supported and shows NO sign of supporting Blu-Ray in the forseeable future. In consequence, the SuperDrive is NOT capable of reading or writing Blu-Ray media. You can run all the software you want, watch all the UToob videos you want till you're, well, blue in the face, but will be totally unable to extract a single bit of data off a Blu-Ray media inserted in a SuperDrive.

If you want Blu-Ray content on your Mac, you will have to BUY a Blu-Ray reader or writer drive that can plug into the Mac and only then GET the appropriate software to use that drive (like the MacBluRayPlayer linked above). No way around this. The SuperDrive does not have a blue laser and cannot read BluRay media.

Yes, I have an external LG Super Multi BU writer mounted on an OWC FW800/USB3/E-SATA enclosure, capable of reading or writing on any kind of optical media known to man. Cost over $300 back when it was new in the previous decade. And yes, BU content looks gorgeous on a widescreen display, when you finally manage to get past the hurdles of getting it there.

Side note: there was a thread on here awhile back, a user was trying to stuff a slotloading BU drive instead of the SuperDrive just for the heck of it. No idea if he succeeded.

Blu-ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.