10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2011 8:40 AM by coocooforcocoapuffs
coocooforcocoapuffs Level 3 (845 points)

Well, it's bad enough there is no layer support, but the layer support there is seems to be broken in FCPX. See this screen cap below, where the same file is imported to both FCPX and Motion5, with much different results.  The only thing different about this PSD is that the background layer was created using VUE Xstream. However, I can't imagine how that could be a problem. Any thoughts?

Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 10.12.30 AM.png

 Zombie MBP 2.2 4gig  Lotsa Aluminum iMacs  MB 2.4 2gig  iPhone 3g , Mac OS X (10.6.7),  No more PCs, finally!  FCS+FCPX
  • coocooforcocoapuffs Level 3 (845 points)

I've posted the failing file here, in case anyone would like to test and confirm:

http://www.extreme-nepal.com/corporate/C4DVueTest.psd

Message was edited by: coocooforcocoapuffs CORRECT THE URL

• steve z Level 3 (820 points)

you have an alpha channel covering the sky, FCP is reading that. Thats good news I guess?Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 1.42.53 AM.png

@ Steve: Weird! Did u turn it on? It's not turned on here:

Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 11.37.56 AM.png

Motion5 is correctly seeing that the alpha channel is turned off, but FCPX is not. Perhaps this is a PS CS 5.5 cross-issue! But yes, if FCPX would correctly interpret the apha state, that would be good. Motion5 does.

Strange one that, but I think we are getting closer to...something.

Message was edited by: coocooforcocoapuffs

I only turned it on for screencap. I believe since Motion still sees all layers the alpha channel isnt effected there. But since FCP only shows a flattened psd it reveals the alpha. Doesn't matter if the alpha is on or off in PS. FCP reads the alpha. If you delete that alpha channel it will look the same as in motion. And there doesnt appear to be a way to interpret alpha in FCP

Ha! Good one Steve. I do think u are correct... what a hosed way to handle the flattening of layers, eh? I guess when/if Apple sorts out layers in FCPX, this will be a non-issue. I wish they would just take whatever code they used in Motion, and put that in FCPX. I never liked the way that FCP7 imported PSDs anyway...and I certainly don't like the current implementation. Well, thx for getting to the bottom of this...if it is indeed the bottom

Yeah I like being able to see all my layers in FCP, and turning on the layers I want to use. guess we just have to follow Apple on their whole "think different" I just hope they know where they are going!

That would be grand, just having the option on import to 1) insert all merged, 2) pick a layer, or 3) add all the layers - but into what? A compound clip/storylne I suppose

Holy crap, I just realized that there is no way to bring in Motion projects inside FCPX! I must have been asleep when Apple put that memo out. Now we have to render the Motion into a movie first? Huh.

actually, you can kinda work around this. When you save your .motn file do a save as and save it as a template. You can either save it as a generator or a template, and publish it. now your motion project atuomatically shows in fcp with out having to import it, Kinda a backwards work around but seems to work well for me, on limited testing. And you can alter it to your hearts content without the dreaded media offline.

Of course! I read about that in the marketing blurb, and immediately forgot. Will try in the am... cheers!