14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2011 11:28 AM by pdrcourious
pdrcourious Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

As I learned (too late at my expense...), it is impossible in Aperture to export to disc/DVD out of itself.

In response to a relevant question, it was advised by Terence (21/6/11) to "export pics to folders (File - Export) and burn those with the Finder".

Alas, in other discussions - regarding pics specifically in iPhoto - it also was made clear by Terrence (Apr 7, 2010) : the Finder "doesn't do manual sorting, only on things like Filename or Date etc." (see: "How to keep manually sorted order of photos when exporting to dvd?").

So this is of actual concern to me regarding picsall  worked on (captions, keywords, Google locations) and organized in Aperture.

At the moment I need to burn a DVD of (laboriously) manually sorted images. Their 'image tree' relates to a project of 358 pics (North Greece), organized in 3 folders (Epirus, Thessaly, Attika), each with their own albums.

What are my possibilities? A workaround by iPhoto (that has to keep all the work done)?

Can I be made happy in the actual state of AP3 affairs, or is some resigned a cooler attitude?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,470 points)

I'm on a very slow connection for a few days, so just some suggestions (with apologies for not working this out and sending what might be a solution).

1. You might be able to export directly to a burn folder.  Can't think of why you can't, but haven't tried it myself.

2. You should be able to export with a serial number prepended.  If this works, it will transfer the information of your manual sorts to the file names, in which it will be preserved as an alpha-numerical sort.  NB: Aperture keeps track of the order in which Images are selected, so select with care (usu. first Image in series than "{Shift}+click" last Image in series).

3. Since the sort order is important, and since manual sorts are not preserved when transferring through the OS (or any OS, afaik), have you considered creating a slideshow for your pictures (a slideshow being the only reason that occurs to me for saving the manual sort)?  You might also create a Web Album (or similar) -- this fixes (as in "makes unchangeable") many things in the presentation of your Images.  The next step up would be to publish your Images on a site such as ZenFolio/SmugMug/Etc.

Good luck.

• John Kitchen Level 3 Level 3 (645 points)

You could just burn the Aperture Library itself to DVD and not try to "Export".

In Finder, right/control click on the library and choose "Burn "pdrcourious library" to Disc..."

• pdrcourious Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

About your welcome suggestions under:

1. I nowhere see any command, instruction or action to "burn" something.

2. Sounds promising although I don't understand the word "prepended".

If I am correct, does this mean in my case the following planing of individual naming :

- North Greece becomes: "Project 1: North Greece"

- Epirus becomes: "1 Folder (or Folder 1?): Epirus",

and its subdivisions: "1 Album (or Album 1?): On the road"

"2 Album (or Album 2?): Dodoni"

"3 Album (or Album 3?): Ioannina"                                                                                                 etc. (3 more albums)

- Thessaly becomes: "2 Folder (or Folder 2?): Thessaly",

and its subdivisions: "1 Album (or Album 1, or 7?): Meteora"

"2 Album (or Album 2, or 8?): Pelion"

etc. (2 more albums)

- Attika becomes: "3 Folder (or Folder 3?): Attika",

and its subdivision 1 Album (or Album 1, or 11?): Sounion"

Is this the kind of "alpha-numerical" or "numerical-alpha" sorting you had in mind?

If so: how to 'burn' this sorted order correctly on DVD in the end?

Any reason why the developers of Aperture don't provide in a "Burn Disc" button or action in its Menu?

Thanks for your attention!

Better layout to understand my question:

1°. I nowhere see any command, instruction or action to "burn"something.

2°. Sounds promising although I don't understand the word "prepended".

If I am correct, does this mean in my case the following planing of individual naming :

- (Project) North Greece becomes:

"Project1: North Greece"

- (Folder) Epirus becomes:

"1Folder (or Folder 1?): Epirus",

and its subdivisions:

"1Album (or Album 1?): On the road"

"2Album (or Album 2?): Dodoni"

"3Album (or Album 3?): Ioannina”  Ioannina"

etc.(3 more albums)

- (Folder) Thessaly becomes:

"2Folder (or Folder 2?): Thessaly",

and its subdivisions:

"1Album (or Album 1, or 7?): Meteora"

"2Album (or Album 2, or 8?): Pelion"

etc.(2 more albums)

- (Folder) Attika becomes:

"3Folder (or Folder 3?): Attika",

and its subdivision:

“1Album (or Album 1, or 11?): Sounion"

Is this the kind of "alpha-numerical" or "numerical-alpha"sorting you had in mind?

If so: how to 'burn' this sorted order correctly on DVD in the end?

Any reason why the developers of Aperture don't provide in a "BurnDisc" button or action in its Menu?

Thanks for your attention!

• John Kitchen Level 3 Level 3 (645 points)

pdrcourious wrote:

1°. I nowhere see any command, instruction or action to "burn"something.

1. Go into Finder and locate your Aperture Library
    2. Hold down the Control key (near the bottom left on your keyboard) and while holding it, click on the Aperture Library
    3. A menu will appear with items like Open, Open With, Show Package Contents etc and a little bit further down you will see "Burn "whatever you called your library" to Disc..."
  • Neil G Level 3 Level 3 (740 points)

I don't think pdrcourious is trying to give someone his/her whole Library, which what the above will create.

But let's ask pdrcourious... What are you trying to wind up with on the DVD? Three folders (Epirus, Thessaly, Attika) with one to several folders 'underneath' and JPEG images in them, arranged in the order you had then in Aperture?

"Prepending" your images means putting numbers (probably three digits so an alpha sort doesn't go, 1, 11, 12, ..., 20, 21, ..., 29, 3, but 001, 002, 003, ..., 010, 011. (e.g, 001 house with flowers, 002 kitchen, 003 sunset, ...)

Go look at the Presets>ImageExport and you can add numbers as you export the images. Export them to the named folders (in your example).

Once you have a hierarchy of Folders on your hard disk, you can 'Burn to Disc' (in the Finder) to produce the DVD.

As always I locate the AP Liby and its menu by clicking directly on the screen button of my Mac HD. So I know of the "Burn...to disc" instruction indeed.

But, as the 2005 project "North Greece" (= 3 Folders, 11 Albums) actually is part of an extensive library over both the years 2005 and 2011, I expect this instruction burns the whole lib in stead of the particular Greece Project - as Neil mentioned correctly. The reason for limiting the burn action is to arrange the Greece DVD with an already printed album of images.

In my case your 3 steps would be useful though, if the following scenario works out:

1- Making of the Greece Project a new library all by itself (what I already did, and               obviously is still empty). 

2- Importing the existing Project, from its actual location in "Library DxO", to the newly       created one; perhaps by copy/paste, or other sly means?.

I have my doubts, but 'creative' thinking (even its only dumb dreaming on my part) never harms - right? Thanks anyway for, and be welcome to, any 'clash of ideas'.  

(see also my reply to John)

The Greece 'Project' is about 3 'Folders':

"Epirus" with 6 'Albums, "Thessaly" with 4 'Albums', and "Attika" with 1 'Album'.

This is 11 albums in all. 

Does I have to add a number to the one Project, three folders and eleven albums respectively:

001 North Greece; 001 Epirus: 001 On the road, 002 Hotel, 003 Dodoni, 004 Zagori, 005 Ioannina,

006 Metsovo; 002 Thessaly: 001 Hotel, 002 Meteora, 003 Hotel, 004 Pelion; 003 Attika: 001 Sounion?

(Maybe repeating identical numbers is too confusing in this case)

Or is this the better naming, mixing the project with the folders and their respective albums, but with consecutive numbers:

001 North Greece, 002 Epirus, 003 On the road, 004 Hotel, 004 Dodoni, 005 Zagori, 006 Ioannina,

007 Metsovo, 008 Thessaly, 009 Hotel, 010 Meteora, 011 Hotel, 012 Pelion, 013 Attika, 014 Sounion?

Or do I limit the consecutive numbers to the specific albums only:

001 On the road, 002 Hotel, 003 Dodoni, 005 Zagori, etc.?

Anyway, does my 'creative thinking' (see reply to John) make any sense?

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

To burn directly from Aperture  first create a Burn Folder.

First decide where you want the burn folder, Lets say you want to put in on your Desktop click on the Desktop this will make the Finder active. Go to the Finder menu bar and select File->New Burn Folder. This will create the burn folder on your Desktop.

In Aperture when you export select the Burn Folder created above as the top level destination for your export. Once you are done in Aperture open the Burn folder and click burn.

The bigger problem is retaining the manual sort order on export. As has been pointed out you will need to add a digit string to the front of the image names in order to retain the manual sort order in the finder.

But you will most likely need to export each album individually. The reason for this is because once you start to select multiple albums and or folders the sort order used to display the group may and most likely will be different then the sort order for each individual container.

As an example if you have two albums, each set up to sort manually, and you select both albums the resulting browser window's sort order will be different then the individual albums

regards

"Need to add a digit string to the front of the image":

Does it mean I have to do two things:

- first: add numbers 001, 002, 085, 225, 309, ... in front of all the 358 images individually, as well as

- secondly: giving each and every pic their own specific description (rather easy with keywords, I       presume), regardless to which folder or album they belong to?

For example: in my case I'll have to go from the first pic "001 Flight", over "005 Arta", "119 Flag", "204 Cloister Meteora", "298 Cloister", "322 Mansion, "323 Mansion, to "357 Temple" and "358 Temple Sounion". Correct? Is a space (not) needed between number and description? 

Regarding "to export each album individually":

As folders are not that important, I probably will export album by album (so in my case: 11 exports).

One last question. Is there any advantage for the workflow I need, to make use of Aperture's "File - Export - Album as new library"? I mean: creating 11 libraries out of 11 albums, and then put these libraries in the burn folder on mu desktop?

Concerning your "Go look at the Presets - ImageExport" advise: where to find this instruction? This 'myopic me' does't see it. 

• Neil G Level 3 Level 3 (740 points)

Sorry, wrong pointer. That was for image file sizing & typing.

(MenuBar) Aperture >> Presets >> File Naming...

Try it with a handful of images first, then figure out whether you want one or more folders.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,715 points)

You need to take some of the suggestions that have been given in this thread and experiment with them.  We're not going to be able to give you a step by step list of instructions to follow. Try whats been suggested and report back what happens.

As for  indexing your exported versions, when you go to File->Export Versions this window opens:

Screen shot 2011-07-03 at 10.51.10.png

Select the Name Folder: pulldown and select Edit as the option. The following opens:

Screen shot 2011-07-03 at 11.00.18.png

Heere is where you can create the filename with the index for your versions.  In the screenshot I've included If I used this filename preset to export the images will be named nnn_versionName that is a 3 digit number, an underscore and then the version name. The 3 digit number will run consecutively starting at 1. This will preserve the manual sort order in the Finder.

As I wrote in a previous post maintaining the manual sort will be difficult if not impossible if you select multiple containers at one time. So you need to try a test case to see what will happen in your particular situation.

Once you've tried something and can report back how it does or doesn't meet your needs we can try to refine the procedure to get you closer to your goals.

regards

It seems my first attempt already sets me on the wrong foot.

After creating (in AP - Presets - File Naming) for the first pic the name "001 Flight" as 'Counter' and 'Custom Name', clicking OK closes the window on this first choice. After reopening, the counter stays at its starting point "1", and thus I am still blocked on the first image. Whatever picture I select afterwards (2, 3, 4, 5, etc.), there is no change at allSchermafbeelding 2011-07-05 om 20.22.54.png

What do I do wrong?