Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

strange airport symbol @ airports(ones with airplanes)

While traveling through some airports my PowerBook G4 shows the computer's gray airport fan with a square inside (a computer?)....the network is a free wireless network but I am unable to join it. Why?? At other airports I get a normal black fan with bars and I can join with no trouble.....

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 9:03 AM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2011 9:42 AM in response to Gordon A Bonnel

Hello, not sure why, but...

"You will know that your network has been created once the Airport icon in the menu bar changes to have a dark background and an icon of a small Mac appears inside it."

User uploaded file

http://www.ehow.com/how_4504298_create-wireless-computer-computer-network.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1232558?answerId=5821820022#5821820022&messageID=5821820

Jun 30, 2011 10:07 AM in response to BDAqua

I'm not sure I understand....read your ehow and other discussions link (had read it before)...I get the symbol and it's black but I still haven't been able to access the internet....am I trying to make a computer to computer connection?? and if so why do I get the normal airport connection at some places and this computer airport symbol at others??

Jun 30, 2011 12:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Appreciate you help.....I have never tried to setup a computer to computer net

Nothing is enabled in the sharing Preferences (except NetworkTime in Firewall)

Nothing strange when I choose Other

Next time I travel to airport I'll try some more options when I get the computer airport symbol

To reiterate: When I go to airport in Menu bar I see listed "free wireless network" when I select it I get the symbol you sent but have no access to internet.....but I see others with Apple laptops working away online and thought maybe they had some sort of service that allowed them to be online...NEXT TIME I'll ASK (shouldn't be hard for an old geezer of 73)...or maybe take my MacBook also and compare the two.

thanks

Jun 30, 2011 1:45 PM in response to Gordon A Bonnel

Next time you get that symbol, try the Other & put in the name of somebody's working one... I wonder if some other Laptop Users have a Computer to Computer network setup & if you're too close you get that instead?

Another thing that may work...

Go to System Preferences

Click Network

Highlight AirPort and click Configure...

Choose “By default, join: Preferred networks”

Select your access point and Remove all your access point with the minus ➖ button.

Reboot.

strange airport symbol @ airports(ones with airplanes)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.