8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2011 2:18 PM by Tracy E
Tracy E Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)

I am building a Motion title sequence with a drop zone for video. I placed it into FCPx as a connected clip (purple timeline box), and associated the video under it to the drop zone. It all works except the video dropped in plays super fast, far out of sync with the audio below. Not sure why.

My FCPX timline, source footage and motion file are all the same frame rate, 23.98. Any ideas?

screenshot1.jpg

• Alex Gollner Level 2 Level 2 (375 points)

I'd like to know the answer to this question too. If I find a solution, I'll post it here.

• adrie from vught Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I made a project in motion 5 hdv 25 fps.

But when i clicked on the dropzone in motion 5 with ctrl you can choose (reveal source media)

if you choose the media tab and you look by media controls you can select the frame rate.

The strangest of all was that i had a 25 fps project and under media controls it stood on 30 fps.

Maybe this is the course of your trouble?

• Tracy E Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)

Thanks Adrie. I found the same issue with my project. My project is 23.98fps, yet the drop zone defaulted to 30fps.

screenshot3.jpg

I changed it to 23.98, but unfortunately got the same speeded up playback results. So the search continues.

The source of the problem...

The video speed changes based on the duration of the Motion title sequence. It was created with a duration of 10 seconds. When I shortened it to 7 seconds in FCPx, the video in the drop zone retimed its 10-second length to 7 seconds, thus playing faster. Set the Motion title sequence to 15-seconds, it plays slow, retiming the opposite way. It plays fine with the sequence at 10-seconds. So...

The solution!

Setting a Project Loop End Marker in the Motion timeline solves the problem. It locks down the timing of the project regardless of its length.

s5.jpg

(I learned this technique from Mark Spencer's fantastic tutorial set on Motion 5 Rigging. Thanks Mark!)

Hello Tracy E

Where can you place a marker en set the project loop end. Because can place a marker and then go to edith marker. But i see no list as above?

Where did you find that tutorial? do you have a link.

The a other question? I have made a project with different dropzones. But only one is playing the rest is freezing.

If you do the same does every dropzone play?

Because i think that motion is not correctly installed? Do you have motion 4 and motion 5 both running? and if yes is this on the same partition?

Thank you for the solving answer?

Greetings Adrie

Where can you place a marker en set the project loop end. Because can place a marker and then go to edith marker. But i see no list as above?

1. Deselect any objects in the Timeline. Select Mark/Markers/Add Marker. If that menu item is not available, make sure there are not layers selected in the Layers window.

1.png

2. A timeline marker will be created at the playhead. When the playhead is on that marker, the Edit Marker menu item will become available.

2.png

3. Select Mark/Markers/Edit Marker. This brings up the dialogue where you can Name, Comment and select the marker type. Choose Project End Loop from the Type menu, then click OK.

3.png

4. Drag the Marker to the end of the timeline.

Adrie, I have not encountered your problem with freezing drop zones. In the past I have had many drop zones playing simultaneously, so it should work. If you suspect that you have a bad install, you should probably reinstall it before troubleshooting any further to eliminate that possibility. I am running a fresh install of 5 on a system that has never had 4 on it.

Where did you find that tutorial? do you have a link.

Ripple Training - Motion 5 - Rigging and Publishing

Thank you Tracy E

I have found it with the markers and the loop playback button.

For the multi dropzone, i have found the way to let it work in motion 5. In motion 4 you could create a dropzone for so many video files you want. Here is the way you choose a film clip aply it. Then you go to inspector and click on dropzone. clear the dropzone and you have one dropzone that wordks doe this with 4 or 5 more and you have 5 dropzones that work.

For the ripple training is that a good training dvd?

Because i thought about it to buy it but i didn't no with one the first over the elemantairie motion 5 feathers or this for rigging and publishing.

Do you have both or only the last one?

Anyway thanks for the explenation for the markers.

For the ripple training is that a good training dvd? Do you have both or only the last one?

I bought all three. The FCPx one and both Motion ones. Spent the last few days watching them and feel really confident working on projects. If you value your time, they're a super bargain. And you can download them immediately from their web site.