Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lacie External Hard Drive not recognized on Mac but recognized on PC

I just got both a MacBook Pro and a LaCie 1TB Rugged Safe External Hard Drive just a few days ago. I just plugged in my external and I installed the needed software from the drive, restarted and the drive wasn't found in LaCie Safe Manager. I tried restarting the computer without the drive plugged in, with Firewire and USB, and then I even tried it on my PC -- which it worked on there. I was able to make an account onto the drive and put my finger prints and everything on the drive, but when I came back to the Mac it didn't work at all.

I can't say it's the drive itself because it worked on the PC. I don't Tried the Disk Utility and it's showing "999.91 GB LaCie" and then "NO NAME" under it, but tabed over.

And help/suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), LaCie Rugged Safe 1TB

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 8:04 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2011 10:18 AM in response to xbrad75

Yeah, I don't know what that dude was thinking. Try formatting it on the PC first!! Fat 32 or Exfat if you have Windows 7. Then after it's formatted try plugging it into the Mac computer. But, your mac should already be able to read NTFS... you just can't Write to the drive.

The drive doesn't appear at all? If that doesn't work you can always try a PR Ram Reset. Search for it its really easy to do!

Jul 1, 2011 11:49 AM in response to xbrad75

Thanks for the ideas, JaEvo and Paul Cuciti.

EDIT: I tried this, http://vimeo.com/7539772. I did this on the Mac but I still don't have anything. I tried both USB and Firewire. I have power to the drive because, after I swipe my fingerprint, the red blinking light turns steady green. Also, I don't know if Macs make a sound when something is connected to the computer, kinda like a PC, but mine doesn't make a noise when I connect in the drive -- I don't know if that'll help anything or not.

Lacie External Hard Drive not recognized on Mac but recognized on PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.