Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I re-pair my euro qwerty keyboard instead of usa qwerty

I made a mistake pairing my keyboard: I had chosen a different setting -maybe a US setting instead of my european qwerty keyboard. How can I re-pair using a setting that matches the keyboard that I actually have?

I know about the on-screen keyboard, which I have used a bit. BUT I prefer to have the setting correct. Thanx

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), brand spanking new

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 8:44 PM

Have you tried un-pairing the keyboard in System Preferenes > Bluetooth and then re-pairing it?

24 replies

Jul 2, 2011 10:04 PM in response to BABBOvicenza

Go to System Preferences Language and Text, click on Input Sources, pick out the language(s) you want to use, be sure to check "show menu in menu bar". It puts a little flag on your menu bar and you can choose which ever language you want to use. The keyboard responds in that language until you change it.

It's really handy, I use Spanish, Swedish and French as well as my English.

Jul 3, 2011 10:49 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

It appears that your suggestion is in the right ballpark, Tom. But none of the options offered on that link provides an understandable way for me to change the keyboard setting from ansi to iso. eg,

1 the change keyboard type button is not visible in preferences...why not

2 i do not know how to find this file.../Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

you should know that i haven't been on a mac for 20 years...since my duo 230

3 i am unable to locate Terminal and thus cannot type the suggestion

sudo open /System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Keyboard SetupAssistant

and are you certain sudo is spelled this way?

4 finally i am wary of resetting the pmu or the smu

Any more suggestions?

thanks

Jul 4, 2011 2:40 AM in response to BABBOvicenza

BABBOvicenza wrote:

2 i do not know how to find this file.../Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

you should know that i haven't been on a mac for 20 years...since my duo 230

3 i am unable to locate Terminal and thus cannot type the suggestion

sudo open

It should be easy to fix those two issues.

2. Double click on your hard drive icon on your desktop and navigate to Library/Preferences

3. Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal

Just come back if these instructions don't work for some reason.

Jul 4, 2011 6:23 AM in response to Goldenbill

You had responded about my keyboard dilemma, I have apparently set ANSA instead of ISO. I have not resolved the problem, however because my keyboard still doesn't type all the keys I'm seeing.

But in the meantime I was wondering how you find this input source function so useful? what keyboard do you have? mine has the quote above the 2 instead of the @.

Jul 4, 2011 8:15 AM in response to BABBOvicenza

I am using an Apple Wireless Keyboard in OSX 10.6.8. There are apparently several types of keyboard with different keys and key locations so my solutions probably don't apply to your problem. I was assuming similar keyboards and OSX verisons. As a Sage once said: "NEVER ASSUME!"

However, for what it's worth:

APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD

Language choice from

System Preferences > language&text > input sources

(Have you been using only Preferences - "Keyboard and Fax" in attempting to change your KB)

FRENCH LAYOUT ---

(uc) >12345678900°_ (dele)

(lc) <&é"'(§è!çà)-

(uc) AZERTYUIOP¨*£

(lc) qsdfghhjklmù (return)

(uc) (ShLoc) QSDFGHJKLM% (return)

(lc) (ShLoc) qsdfghjklmù (UpArrow)

(uc) (Sh) WXCVBN?../+ (Sh)

(lc) (Sh) wxcvbn,,;:= (Sh)

bottom row as shown

You'll notice my " mark is above the "3" so right there we differ. Assuming again though, it seems that your OSX version would be able to read your keyboard and the "language&text - input sources" would be able to offer you the language you need. My OSX 10.6.8 doesn't offer ANSI and ISO but my eMac 10.4.11 does. Strange!

I love being able to switch back and forth between the languages and find I adapt very quickly to the few keys that are in a different place.

I'll sign out now as you can see my situation does not fit with yours and I'm probably taking up your time uselessly. Good luck! ......goldie

Jul 4, 2011 1:09 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

As I was saying (I somehow lost my response I had been writing) my Apple wireless keyboard is actually qwerty and we live in Italy where we bought our new iMac running on OSX 10.6.8 (no idea which animal is associated with it, but when Lion comes out we'll get that for free!)

My keyboard types qwertyuiop[] with the little American flag in the corner and qzertyuiopì$ zith the Italian flag flying:::neither of which matches my keyboard, which has the è+ as the final two keys, for example, in that row.

Thank god I don't have the french keyboard that goldie wrote to me about...

I hope writing this info to you will help me solve this dilemma. I know my Italian wife and soon our kids will want to see that what they type matches the keys they push.

Any more suggestions?

thnx

Jul 4, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

My physical KB is an Apple-Wireless-(US). I was using the French alternate from Language&Text to get the AZERTY.

This is an Italian-Pro Keyboard from the Language&Text OptionUser uploaded file

This is a plain Italian KB from Language&Text option

User uploaded file

This is an Italian KB from:

http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards?mc o=MTM4MDMzNDI

User uploaded file

And from BABBO....'s discription is the KB he is using.

How can I re-pair my euro qwerty keyboard instead of usa qwerty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.