Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel_task eating all of my RAM, Dock eating all of my CPU, what can I do?

Hello.

Since I have updated from the 10.6.8, I have 2 problems:

1) The kernel_task take a lot of RAM, especially it begins when I start my iMac around 200Mb, and can go over 500Mb.

2) The Dock process takes everytime all of my CPU usage, around 90/100% seen on my Activity Monitor. After starting, it will crash too 2 or 3 times before it will be "stable" (without the OP CPU usage).

I know there is some problems with the last update, but I don't have found anything about the Dock problem.

Do you know if a solution was found for to resolve the OP usage of RAM for the kernel_task?

And do you know why and how I can resolve the Dock CPU usage problem? (I just can't use any of my software correctly with that, especially Final Cut and Team Fortress 2)

By the way, I have tried everything possible for to find a solution, especially this: Reset PRAM & VRAM, Reset SMC, Disk Autorizations and Disk Structure repaired, sctipts from Onyx. I would do too to install the Combo update, but that will change something? (just install it)

And what's about to restart in Safe Mode? Does it will do something?

My configuration:

iMac C2D 2,93Ghz

4Go RAM

Mac OS 10.6.8

Thank's for any help you can give me! 🙂

Natha

Message was edited by: Natha1308

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4 Go RAM, ATi H4850

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 6:50 AM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2011 9:46 AM in response to Natha1308

With the client version of 10.6 you can just run the installer and it will reinstall only the sytem files. As long as you do not repartition or format the hard drive the installer is smart enough to know that you have an existing user account. It will install the version that is labled on the dvd.

After you are in you can download the 10.6.7 combo update from apple's website.

I would reccomend a full backup or time machine before you start this just in case.

Kernel_task eating all of my RAM, Dock eating all of my CPU, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.