10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2015 6:05 AM by QY Chang
Bob H. Level 4 Level 4

I have installed two updates that showed up in the App Store.  For example, one of these was iPhoto 9.1.3.  They installed, and I verified by opening the apps. However, the App Store icon badge still shows the two updates are available.  After opening the App Store, they still show as updates, and if I hit update, it stupidly proceeds to download again, even though the apps are installed.  Could someone tell me how to correct this issue?

Reply by FuzzySS on Sep 13, 2012 11:12 PM Helpful
As I said, a copy on an external drive seems to be enough to trigger this. As long as App Store sees your app (it will on an external drive, unless it's a Time Machine backup), it will list it as out of date. At the same time, it will not be able to update it.
Reply by FuzzySS on Sep 14, 2012 11:53 AM Helpful
Come to think of it, iPhoto was the only app that did this for me too. Even though my external drive had a complete clone of my system. Could be that there are some special case location checks for iPhoto (or perhaps the iLife suite as a whole). If your backup is scripted, I guess you could do it to a .tar or .zip file. In that case, I doubt App Store will find it. My clone was only a temporary setup, so it's gone now and don't bother me anymore.

All replies

• Michael Erb1 Level 1 Level 1

I also have this phantom badge number showing in the Dock. In my case, it indicates 3 updates.  when I launch app store, there are no updates available and badge clears the number,. But as soon as I quite app store, the number 3 appears in the Badge again. It won't go away.

• FuzzySS Level 1 Level 1

Most likely, you have an old copy of the application either in another directory or on an external drive. Deleting it will fix it.

• maths126 Level 1 Level 1

Thanks FuzzySS - this fixed it for me.

• Bob H. Level 4 Level 4

FuzzySS -- Sorry, for some reason I didn't see your response last year but saw the post by maths126 -- which got me to your response.  I don't have any old copies of the application unless it would be via Time Machine on an external drive.  I do keep a copy current (daily) duplicate copy (not a clone) of my all my apps and files on an external drive.  I still have the problem.

As I said, a copy on an external drive seems to be enough to trigger this. As long as App Store sees your app (it will on an external drive, unless it's a Time Machine backup), it will list it as out of date. At the same time, it will not be able to update it.

• Bob H. Level 4 Level 4

FuzzySS -- Thanks for your response.  I guess I will either have to live with this or find some way to hide the iPhoto backup.  It is peculiar that I have no problem with any other app copies. The only problem I have ever had is with iPhoto.

Come to think of it, iPhoto was the only app that did this for me too. Even though my external drive had a complete clone of my system. Could be that there are some special case location checks for iPhoto (or perhaps the iLife suite as a whole).

If your backup is scripted, I guess you could do it to a .tar or .zip file. In that case, I doubt App Store will find it. My clone was only a temporary setup, so it's gone now and don't bother me anymore.

• Bob H. Level 4 Level 4

Thanks again.  I think I will send Apple a feedback message that narrows that problem a bit to iPhoto.

• tamboe Level 1 Level 1

Only thing that worked for me:

Go to iPhoto preferences on your Mac > iCloud > uncheck photo sharing at the bottom > activate photo sharing again.........wait.............

Tadaaa iPhoto Dock notification gone :-)

• QY Chang Level 1 Level 1

I'm not sure if it will work for you guys but I turned the Automatic Updates on and off and it worked for me.

Settings > iTunes & Apple Store > Automatic Downloads > Updates