Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optonline does not receive my Mac Mail

I use Mac Mail for various email addresses (comcast, gmail, mac/me) and I usually have no problem sending mail.

I have had a problem not getting a person using Optimum (Optonline.com) to receive any of my emails. It just does not get to the person (he's in his 80s, so I can't just say "get a gmail account") I receive mail from him just fine, but if I reply or start a fresh email, it just goes into outerspace, with no indication that it gets bounced, returned, or anything.

I did have success by using Moble Me WEB interface rather than my SOFTWARE Mail interface. Which leads me to believe it is related to Optonline not liking something that Mail is doing to the email???

This is a client, so its kinda embarrassing to keep wondering if they got my email etc.

Thanks, Dennis

iMac 24" 2.33 ghz intel core 2 duo, Mac OS X (10.4.11), MacBookPro 15" 2.9ghz; iPhone 3Gs, iMac 2007.

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 8:55 AM

I think you have his email address wrong. If as you say you don't get any error, notifications, etc. then the email address you are sending to exists, only it is not his. Or, he has a filter/rule that discards your email. Or, you have something in your email that is seen as malware or otherwise dangerous and his or his ISP's spam blocker is silently discarding your email as a result.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2011 8:55 AM in response to Dennis Bolt

I think you have his email address wrong. If as you say you don't get any error, notifications, etc. then the email address you are sending to exists, only it is not his. Or, he has a filter/rule that discards your email. Or, you have something in your email that is seen as malware or otherwise dangerous and his or his ISP's spam blocker is silently discarding your email as a result.

Jul 1, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Dennis Bolt

Thanks Bob and Ernie

I have his address correct, because the problem exists even if I REPLY to his mail. Nothign gets there.

BUT when I tried the Web-based version of .Mac/Mobile Me it went thru. The only difference was that the failed transmission came from the SOFTWARE based "Mail" program that is part of the Snow Leopard, which I used happily for 8 years. I wonder if there is some kind of formatting/preference that Mail interjects that Optonline thinks is evil? I have never knowingly, had this problem with any other recipient.

Jul 1, 2011 1:40 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

Hi Ernie

My default setting for Mail is Plain Text. I tried it again and made sure I sellected all and changed it to Plain Text, and it did not change the look, so I assume that no RTF snuck in. We'll see if it makes it.

The main trouble is that my recipient is not a troubleshooter and is in his 80s so my exploration at the success/failure has to go at his pace and ability. Sometimes I'm not sure if he actually gets it or has just ignored my email;-)

Jul 1, 2011 9:17 PM in response to Dennis Bolt

It sounds to me like the email you're sending directly from your Mac is getting blocked by a SPAM filter somewhere along the way. If your outbound SMTP server, or perhaps your personal IP, has been blacklisted (RBL), it is quite possible that Optonline is simply rejecting your email. This would also explain why you succeed when sending from webmail, which will be sent from a different server that isn't blacklisted. If you know your IP address and the IP address of your outbound SMTP server, you can check their blacklist status on SpamCop and SpamHaus.

Optonline does not receive my Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.