Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to: Installing an Apple OEM SSD drive into an Xserve (2009)

Hey Guys,

In the past I have noticed questions on the board on if you can install a SSD drive into an Xserve that did not have one from the factory.

The answer is yes and this is the parts list.

661-5067 128gb Apple SSD Drive (Samsung MMDOE28GXMSP-OVA)

922-8959 Bracket

922-8958 Cable

The install is pretty straight forward.

What I do is put the SSD into the bracket, then lightly slide the ribbon cable into the SSD connector. Once everything is all together I then take off the sticker on the back of the bracket. Then line up the ribbon and plug it in. This will help you align everything, once its plugged in you can kind of see where the hard drive wants to go. Once you have it where you want it you can place the bracket and the adhesive backing will now stick. As soon as you power up the Xserve it will recognize the drive.

Some pictures from the install.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.26ghz Quad Core

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 9:21 AM

5 replies

How to: Installing an Apple OEM SSD drive into an Xserve (2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.