Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 Logic Board vs. DC In Board Failure

Would a logic board failure completely shut down the computer or allow it to keep operating?

My iBook's power cord stopped working abruptly and after the existing battery life depleted, it died.

I had a similar problem 18 months ago when the DC In board stopped working but it failed intermittently before completing dying.

When I took my computer to the Apple genius, he said it is the logic board that has failed this time. He seemed to believe this because he used a known good power source to charge the computer and a new, charged battery and neither would power up the computer.

However, I am not sure he's right about the logic board because when the power cord stopped charging, the computer kept functioning as normal while operating off of the battery. Would a logic board failure completely shut down the computer or allow it to keep operating for a limited time?

iBook

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 9:14 AM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2011 11:28 AM in response to measureformeasure

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Would a logic board failure completely shut down the computer or allow it to keep operating for a limited time?

It depends on which part of the logic board failed. I had a defective logic board which did not allow the iBook to run from the battery at all. This board was a replacement board supplied under AppleCare. They had to take it back and replace it again.

So, a logic board can fail in a number of ways.

When the battery won't charge, there are four possible problems. Listed in order of frequency, they are:

1. The battery
  2. The adapter
  3. The DC-in board
  4. The logic board

When it's the DC-in board, the iBook should run from a charged battery. So, I would tend to agree with the Apple Genius in this case.

Jan 16, 2012 8:44 AM in response to measureformeasure

I have had this same problem--the iBook will operate off the battery but not charge it (despite the computer recognizing that an adapter is plugged in). It stays on fine until the battery runs out. I can charge the same battery in another iBook with the same adapter, and that is fine, so I put a new DC-IN board into the defective iBook. It made no difference, so sadly it would seem that the logic board is the next, well, logical culprit. That will be significantly more expensive than a DC-IN board, so this may be the end of this iBook. 😟

iBook G4 Logic Board vs. DC In Board Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.