Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zoom r24 and macbook pro horrible noise

I just purchased a Zoom R24 Recorder Interface Controller Sampler and I'm trying to use it as an interface with my 2011 Macbook Pro 8gigs running Logic Pro 9 and there is a constant crackling sound and extreme latency. I've looked everywhere on the web for information and I've seen a couple of things about people having similar problems, but nothing really substantial and no solutions. I've seen on the Zoom R24 website that the audio interface example photo shows the unit plugged into the USB port of a Macbook pro but I'm not sure that that is an endorsement for support with the MBP. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 gigs of RAM, 7200 rpm

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 12:18 PM

7 replies

Aug 6, 2011 10:20 PM in response to lohanick

Hi fellas

Just noticed another discussion related to the Zoom R-16, where a lot of Mac users are reporting the same problem. Indeed, I have the R-24 too, and I'm getting the same problem that you report (noisy recording, lots of latency). It seems as though the R-16 users are convinced that the problem lies with Apple's 10.6.8 software, because they report that the problem only started after the system update (no clear evidence yet that the problem is fixed in Lion either).

Some of the folks have contacted Zoom reps who appear to be aware of the problem. Think it might be a "wait and see" situation until a bug fix is released.

Probably wouldn't hurt to keep hitting the forums and contacting Zoom/Apple tech support to remind them that we are all waiting for a fix

Roget 67

Jan 5, 2012 7:51 AM in response to Roget67

I'm also having the same problem. Zoom R24, with Logic and GarageBand, and I'm still getting crackly noises throughout all my recordings. I'm starting the think that the 13in MacBook Pro cannot handle all that information at once. I brought it to the local music shop and basically said that it might be the program itself. I'm not entirely certain though. Some what disappointing.

Jan 5, 2012 12:31 PM in response to drummerfromthe757

All what information? Unless the latest OSX and Logic have become terrible resource pigs your computer should easily be able to record and playback many tracks of digital audio.

What are the specs you're recording at... try a 44.1kHz 16-bit recording and see how that goes.

What do you have Logic's Preferences/Audio I/O buffer set to?

There's also another possiblilty...

Since the Zoom is acting as an Input only it could be a clock issue. I would try setting it up as an Aggregate Device in conjunction twith the Mac's Built-in audio. That way you can select The Mac as a Master Clock source and the Zoom to resample.

Here, read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Jan 20, 2014 3:36 PM in response to lohanick

I am having the same issue with my Zoom R-16. I just upgraded from a 21.5" 2007 iMac to a new 27" with an i7 processer and 32GB RAM.

This happened a few years ago (with my old iMac) when 10.6 came out I believe. There was a driver update which fixed the issue.

Now, I just upgraded to the new iMac and also the newer Logic Pro X and the exact same thing is happening. Everything sounds fine, but then you arm your tracks to record and any sound being inputted comes out with a "fuzzy, crackling" sound. This continues as you record. Playback includes this ugly "fuzzy, crackling" sound.

I have tried the Aggregate Divice procedure with a no-go.

I've sent Zoom an email urging them for an update...

Any other suggestions?????

zoom r24 and macbook pro horrible noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.