Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 video tutorials?

Can anyone point me to some online Motion 5 video tutorials?

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 12:30 PM

11 replies

Feb 20, 2012 11:54 PM in response to John Walton

All FREE stuff:

Use iTunes podcasts - search MacBreak Studio; Anything by Mark Spencer (applemotion.net has a lot of material that is free [http://applemotion.net/macbreak-studio/ ].) [Also: these will be automatically saved in your : HomeFolder / Music / iTunes / iTunes Media / Podcasts / MacBreak Studio folder for referencing later!]

Since much of the functionality of Motion hasn't really changed that much since Motion 3 (when 3D was introduced), you can youtube search for tutorials for Motion 3, 4 & 5. Particularly check for AppleShakeGuru's

channel [http://youtube.com/appleshakeguru] - he put out several dozen over a period of a couple of years (not so much lately - nothing on M5 so far, tho). I found them very useful.

Don't be afraid to dive in head first — Just practicing along with a bunch of these tutorials will get you up and running pretty quickly (pretty much how I did it!) Probably the most difficult part about using Motion is getting used to the interface -you just need to learn where all the stuff is that you need to do the stuff you want. If you're familiar at all with photoshop and layers, there's a lot in Motion that is very similar, including filters and effects; blending modes; etc. So, as a very broad comparison, Motion is like Photoshop, except for compositing (and animating [more efficiently]) the layers in 3D space, complete with lights and cameras (you provide the action 😉 )

Not to blow my own horn... I don't have the knack for making good instructional videos like Mark does, but I have a few tutorials on my youtube channel (http://youtube.com/fxmah) in the Tutorials playlist [All in HD for full screen viewing - it helps!] Some are pretty simple and some are rather complex (I wouldn't rate them "for beginners", but don't let that put you off!) — there should be a fairly wide assortment of different kinds of topics in Motion covered over the span of all of them to uncover a lot of the "hidden" functionalities.

HTH

Feb 21, 2012 6:40 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks for your comments. I'll check out your tutorials! I was under the impression that Motion 5 was a major upgrade. I've done some basic stuff, mainly working from existing templates. I guess my bigest issue is weather to invest more time in Motion or move over to After Effects, now that it came with my CS5 package. The same is true for FCPX. I've worked with it, wanting to give it a chance, but it certainly has changed how a long-time editor needs to approach his story workflow.

Feb 21, 2012 10:47 AM in response to John Walton

Motion 5 is a "major" upgrade insofar as it has been completely rewritten in 64-bit code and it's role in the FCPX editing workflow has radically changed. Previous versions of Motion were designed for "round-tripping". Motion 5 is designed for Effect design and publishing. The idea is to create material that is reusable instead of using it for a project by project basis. In previous versions of Motion, video editors had to learn Motion to get in, make changes and get out. With Motion 5, designers can deal with Motion, editors only ever have to deal with the parameters the designers published for them to use, and editors never have to learn anything about or deal with Motion at all if they don't want to. Other than the ability to publish paramters to FCPX, Motion 5 is not all that different than version 4 or even 3. As for moving over to After Effects? I can't help you there, I've never used it, but I've seen some tutorials. It looks quite a bit more powerful for creating special effects than Motion is.

FCPX on the other hand is ... awesome. FCP7, IMO, pales in comparison. I've been able to do so much more work in FCPX since I've started using it. What used to take 5 days in FCP7, takes about a day in FCPX. FCPX can be adapted to your workflow, whereas with FCP7, *you* have to adapt to its workflow... if that makes sense.

Motion 5 video tutorials?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.