Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Special function keys on Apple keyboard stopped working

Hi All,

Configuration: Apple iMac 21" with Bootcamp 3.0 and Windows 7 Enterprise. Apple wired keyboard (with numpad) and apple wireless MightyMouse.

I have 2 issues to discuss here. First, and most important, thing is that a few days ago the special function keys stopped working. I cannot eject CD's, cannot decrease or increase volume etc. Tried both configuration settings (with and without the Fn key) but still no response from the keys. Instead, they function as 'normal' windows function keys (F10, F11, etc). The only thing I know is that I removed the apple keyboard from the Language settings, as I usually use the International layout for adding special signs like é. Since then, it looks like the Apple functions stopped working, and for all users! I recently reinstalled the drivers from the OSX-dvd but with no effect.

The other issue is about the mighty mouse. When I first installed WIndows 7 the mouse worked fine, including the special 'swipe' feature to enable scolling. I can't remember why, but at some point I wanted to install another mouse driver. After I did, the 'swipe' function was gone. Here too, I tried to reinstall the mouse driver (downloaded AppleWirelessMouse.exe) but with no effect. I tried to run "update driver" in the Windows Device Manager, but it says the driver is up-to-date.

Can anybody help me reinstalling these drivers again to get these wonderful features back? (Without re-installing Windows 7...)

Thanks a lot!

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:01 PM

I am having the same issue with Window 7 (64-bit) on an early 2011 15" MBP. I saw in a few older posts that reinstalling the Mac OS has resolved this issue. Is there another alternative than a full reinstall???

2 replies

Special function keys on Apple keyboard stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.