Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play video from Apple TV to DVI monitor.

I'm between TVs, so I planned to hook my Apple TV 2 up to my Samsung SyncMaster 216bw monitor using an HDMI/DVI adapter. And it works, almost. I can see the boot up, and all menus. I can browse Netflix, YouTube and movie trailers. I can see photos over AirPlay and watch the screen saver. There is absolutely zero distortion of the picture, as other DVI posts have discussed.

But when a video starts to play it shows an error: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later." When a Netflix video starts, it simply waits at 0:00. I can even scan forward and see the current frame of video full screen, but it won't actually play. It just waits on the current frame.

My best guess was an HDCP issue, but Samsung clearly states "The SAMSUNG 216BW features a DVI interface with HDCP support to unlock ultra-high resolution and superb-quality protected content." Would a different HDMI/DVI cable or adapter allow the HDCP handshake where my current adapter might not?

Anyone have any other ideas? I've only invested about $20 in cables so far (mostly to get audio to my stereo), but never imagined this wouldn't work!

Thanks.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 5:35 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

DVI isn't supported by the Apple TV, however as you have likely discovered some have managed to get it to work whether it be properly or in some restricted fashion.

The main issues that seem to occur with using DVI are getting a picture at all, getting a picture at the right resolution or playing protected content. On this basis I'm wondering if the problem you are encountering isn't another issue altogether.

Have you tried pulling the plug on the Apple TV for a few moments and trying again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2011 5:35 AM in response to tchad_m

Welcome to the Apple Community.

DVI isn't supported by the Apple TV, however as you have likely discovered some have managed to get it to work whether it be properly or in some restricted fashion.

The main issues that seem to occur with using DVI are getting a picture at all, getting a picture at the right resolution or playing protected content. On this basis I'm wondering if the problem you are encountering isn't another issue altogether.

Have you tried pulling the plug on the Apple TV for a few moments and trying again.

Can't play video from Apple TV to DVI monitor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.