Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bridge an AirPort Express from an Extreme connected to a Motorola DOCSIS 3 cable/modem/gateway via an ethernet cable? Can I connect ethernet to the Express to setup/handshake/coordinate, and then unplug the ethernet cable from the Express?

In other words, does the AirPort Extreme NEED to be the device connected to the coaxial cable, or can I connect that cable to the Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem/wireless gateway? (My Internet provider requires DOCSIS 3.0 for speeds above 12 megabits/sec.)

Will the Airport Extreme "program" the Express via an ethernet cable, and than the cable can be removed?

The "bridge" or "repeater needs to be quite a distance away from the physically connected cable modem/wireless gateway and the ethernet- connected AirPort Extreme, and we have wall-to-wall carpeting, and the walls and ceilings are off-limits (family politics), so a looooong ethernet cable is out of the question.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanx!

P.S. The 802.11 in my house (ground floor, about fifty feet away from the modem; in the living room about 35ft away *****! And Motorola touts this wireless gateway as having amazing coverage (360, I think they call it),but in fairness, this house is old and has a 5 hanset cordless landline and a microwave and a fan, etc., etc., etc......

Power Mac G4 / 2GHz / 2GB RAM /350GB HD, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 10:45 PM

1 reply

Bridge an AirPort Express from an Extreme connected to a Motorola DOCSIS 3 cable/modem/gateway via an ethernet cable? Can I connect ethernet to the Express to setup/handshake/coordinate, and then unplug the ethernet cable from the Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.