Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing photos in iphoto

I am missing photos in iphoto

Imac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 9:33 PM

8 replies

Jul 2, 2011 12:09 AM in response to Blond Viking

Thanks for sharing. Did you have a question then?

If you do, please bear this in mind. Before anyone can help they need information to work with. Basic stuff: What version of iPhoto. What version of the Operating System. Details. What were you doing when the problem arose? Did it ever work properly? Step-by-step descriptions of how you got to this issue. If something doesn't work, are there error messages? What happens when you try to do this thing? And what steps have you tried already to solve the issue. With this kind of information somebody can develop a starting point for troubleshooting the issue.

Posts that consist of "iPhoto doesn't work. Help" or "iPhoto won't print" or "Suddenly I have no photos!!!!!!!!!!" mean that a helper is simply guessing. With information, s/he may be able to get your issue resolved sooner.

Or, just hang around until the clairvoyent posters get here

Aug 7, 2011 8:26 PM in response to Blond Viking

I have a real question that I am hoping to get answered....

What version of the Operating System - Mac os x snow leopard version 10.6.7

Details. What were you doing when the problem arose? opening up iphoto

Did it ever work properly? yes it worked properly until about a week ago. i tried to open up iphoto and it gave me the message "do you want to update your photos now" I just closed the program without updating. Today I wanted to load some pictures, so i put my camera in and when i opened iphoto i chose to update the pictures. As i did so my iphoto looked different, all of my events, photos, albums were gone! can you please help me?

Step-by-step descriptions of how you got to this issue. If something doesn't work, are there error messages? my computer needs a software update as well, do you think this will bring the pictures back?

What happens when you try to do this thing? And what steps have you tried already to solve the issue. This is my first attempt? Does APPLE have any email support?

With this kind of information somebody can develop a starting point for troubleshooting the issue? Is there a file where iphotos are stored?

PLEASE HELP! thank you in advance!

Aug 7, 2011 11:52 PM in response to Makes.Me.Wonder

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

Aug 9, 2011 8:53 PM in response to Blond Viking

Thank you for the response.

i tried rebuilding but it doesn't bring back the pictures. I think i remember the update prompt and it said that i needed to update my thumbnails. My computer has been very close to using up the entire hard drive. Last I checked it had about 1.57 gbs left. So tonight I just deleted about 7 gbs off my computer.

My system needs to be updated to 10.6.8. Do you think if I updated my software the photos will appear?

I've had about 3 years worth of pictures on there. I don't know the exact size. Please if you have any other suggestions...let me know ! Thank you

Aug 9, 2011 11:41 PM in response to Makes.Me.Wonder

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on.

Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially. Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do.

Purchase an external HD and move your Photos and Music to it. Both iPhoto and iTunes can run perfectly well with the Library on an external disk.

It's quite possible that your Library has been corrupted from being on an overcrowded disk, but it's impossible to know until you have sufficient disk space to explore.

Regards

TD

Oct 14, 2012 5:48 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi TD

You're a busy man.. dont us idiots wear you down? 🙂

I posted tis on another - photostream - discussion but thought yu might have a helpful thought or 10

"My photostream pics appear in iPhoto (11 under Web section and whilst they appear in Library in the correct Event, and in Events, on the Event title bar in both it says No Pictures, or "0" and no picture is displayed on the Event Tile. Any thoughts?

My question before I discovered this was just going to be (and still is a Q) "Once pics are imported into Library from photostream do they stay there after 3 months when photostream dumps the oldest month in favour of the latest?" My preferences are set to Copy photostream imports to Library.

Hey ho"

Paul

MB pro 10.8.2

missing photos in iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.