Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install Lion...

Hi,

Is going from SL to Lion an "upgrade"?

Can I "clean" Install Lion without SL?

Thanks.

Ed

Posted on Jul 1, 2011 11:38 PM

9 replies

Jul 2, 2011 2:03 AM in response to EDLIU

Lion upgrade questions and answers...: Apple Support Communities

Apple - OS X Lion - Sign up to be notified when Lion is available.

Can I "clean" Install Lion without SL?

Not according to Apple. The latest version of Snow Leopard is required.

Apple - OS X Lion - Get Lion in July. Only from the Mac App Store. Lion requires an Intel-based Mac with a Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 or Xeon processor and 2GB of RAM. The Lion upgrade can be installed on all your authorized personal Macs.

Jul 23, 2011 9:52 AM in response to EDLIU

Performing a clean install of Lion is easy once you create a Lion Boot Disc. How do I create a Lion Boot Disc, you ask? That's easy too! Just follow these instructions: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

The fact is that the Lion installer is packaged around a bootable disk image that can easily be burned to a standard 4.7GB DVD. With the boot disk you can run disk utility to erase your Mac, and then clean install just like you could with every other version of Mac OS X. Just don't forget to backup all your data!!! 😉

Mar 12, 2012 11:34 AM in response to myimagination

hi

I've got some questions and I'll be really pleased if someone can clean up my mind about them.

I've heard about a way to 'jump' the Snow Leopard 10.6.x version from Leopard 10.5.8. I mean passing from Leopard to Lion modifying a file located in /System/Library/CoreServices, it's only to change from 10.5.8 to 10.6.x

or whatever in the file 'SystemVersion.plist' (I think that's the name of the file). But my question is if the files I've got in my Macbook 10.5.8 (all the files, photos, applications, music, programmes... definitely EVERYTHING) are compatible with the new OS X Lion. Is that true? Are there any problems with that?

I know the better way to do it, is to create an USB or a DVD with the OS X Lion Installer, then to restore the computer (delete everything), and start the computer pressing Alt and selecting the USB where you have the Lion.

Clean Install Lion...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.