Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Develop menu missing

I would like to monitor the activity of Safari 5.0.5, and am running OS X 10.5.8 with original 512 megs of RAM but cannot seem to find the Develop menu. Heck, I can't even find the Web inspector.

What am I doing wrong?

The HELP menu suggests the following:

1. Open the website, and then choose Develop > Show Web Inspector but this option is not available to me, and I cannot find the Web Inspector.

The HELP menu then says: NOTE: If the Develop menu does not appear in the menu bar, open Safari preferences, click Advanced, and select "Show Develop menu in menu bar." But I attempted to do that, and still can't find the Develop menu in menu bar. Where is it?

So far as I can tell, there is neither a Develop menu, nor a Web inspector.

It took me 9 days of downloading to get OS X 10.5.8 to install. I have had lots of difficulty burning a backup copy of OS X 10.5.8. I don't want to flush it out of my Mac mini, which I suppose is possible if I open up my Mac mini, and pull the RAM chips out, or whatever it is you do for a true cold reset. There should be an easier way to start from square 1.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), original 512 megs of RAM

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 1:34 AM

8 replies

Jul 2, 2011 1:53 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I am still having trouble finding it. I am assuming you mean Safari Preferences, rather than System Preferences?

So far as I can tell, the Web Inspector doesn't exist in any of the options under Safari Preferences, and it doesn't exist under any of the options under System Preferences, either. Neither of them. You included a graphic that appears to represent a top-bar that exists on your computer, but not on mine. I am still trying to "enable" the Develop menu, and there isn't anywhere I can do that.

Yes, I understand you are supposed to look for "Advanced" but it helps to be a little more accurate for me. I come from the side of reality where everybody used to type everything. I still find moving a mouse to be a little confusing and unnatural to me. Help!

Jul 2, 2011 2:01 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I clicked my mouse on 'Advanced' and it opened up a window pane to reveal an option at the very bottom - a tiny box for "Develop menu" - that can be checked. So I went ahead and checked it. Hopefully this now opens up a whole bunch more options, elsewhere. Strange that Apple went out of its way to make it so hard to find. It really should have been pre-checked from the start.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2011 2:14 AM in response to beta_zero

There is also a Debug menu available for the more adventurous. Here is how to get it:

Method 1: Type the following command in Terminal (while Safari is NOT running):

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1

Method 2: download the free utility Onyx. In Parameters/Safari you can activate the Debug menu.

Develop menu missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.