Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fresh reinstall of Final Cut Studio 3

I've recently "upgraded" to FCPX and am not impressed with it. When I purchased it, I was running FCS3 on my system. I noticed that my system felt a little sluggish after purchasing FCPX. I later read a forum that said Apple does not recommend running both FCP7 and FCPX on the same drive. I figured that was why my computer was running slow. I decided to wipe my computer and start fresh with a clean install of EVERYTHING. I figured it was due for a cleaning anyway. I reinstalled everything except for FCS3. I noticed how fast FCPX runs on my machine. However, I'm not happy with FCPX. I'd rather not go into why I don't like FCPX. There are too many forums bashing FCPX, and while I feel the same way, I'd rather move on. After reading Apple's recently released FAQ's about FCPX and FCP7 working together fine, I'd like to install FCS3 back on my computer. I read somewhere that Apple has stopped supporting FCS3. Does that mean when I install FCP 7.0.0 on my system, I won't be able to update to FCP 7.0.3? I'm worried that if I decide to delete FCPX and install FCS3, it won't be supported. If I leave FCPX on my machine, will I even be able to install FCS3?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 5:41 AM

Make a folder and call it Final Cut Pro X

Drag FCP X , Compressor 4 and Motion 5 (if you have them) into it and place it in your Applications folder.

Open and close Motion 5 (if you have it) before FCP X. (Actually this is probably not necessary).

You can then install FCS 3 in the normal way.

Software Update will see your FCP X etc. in the folder you have made.

This official Apple guide (last section) should confirm what I have described. The main thing is that FCP X etc. is kept out of the way of FCS 3 in its own folder.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2011 5:41 AM in response to Michael_Fish_

Make a folder and call it Final Cut Pro X

Drag FCP X , Compressor 4 and Motion 5 (if you have them) into it and place it in your Applications folder.

Open and close Motion 5 (if you have it) before FCP X. (Actually this is probably not necessary).

You can then install FCS 3 in the normal way.

Software Update will see your FCP X etc. in the folder you have made.

This official Apple guide (last section) should confirm what I have described. The main thing is that FCP X etc. is kept out of the way of FCS 3 in its own folder.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4722

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

Jul 2, 2011 9:58 AM in response to Michael_Fish_

Hi Michael

Apple will continue to support FCP7 as the do with Leopard. For Leopard they provide regular Security Updates even though Snow Leopard is the only one availabe on the shelves till later this week. If you fresh install FCS3 you will still be able to get the latest version download. You can even get the updates direct off their support site. This is true even for FCS2 and 1!

They will continue to provide stability updates but will not be adding any additional features.

All the best

Pi

Fresh reinstall of Final Cut Studio 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.