Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import m2ts files to FCPX?

I purchased FCPX to edit m2ts files. I though this could be possible as the FCPX web site indicates Native editing support for AVCHD. But disappointedly this is not the case. For non-professional uses this indication would be very confusing. Indeed I found the following Ad. So I assume not only me but others made same mistake. I am not hoping reimbursement, but hoping native support of m2ts. I'd like to Apple technicians if I can expect this in the near future.

http://www.yousaytoo.com/avchd-to-fcpx-mts-slash-m2ts-to-fcpx-import-avchd-to-fi nal-cut-pro-x-for-mac/859214

Some Mac users purchased FCP X and thought could import and edit AVCHD MTS/M2TS in FCP X, but FCPX doesn't recognize the MTS/M2TS files. As a matter of fact, it is impossible to edit AVCHD natively, you need to transcode AVCHD to a frame-based format. Here we introduce an easy way to convert AVCHD to FCPX supported video format. MTS Converter for Mac is able to import MTS/M2TS files and convert to your specified video format, like MOV, MP4, DV, etc.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 9:17 AM

The information in the link is misleading or perhaps just wrong. It is correct that FCPX does not edit .mts files, but the media is not converted to a frame based format unless you optimize it. If you have AVCHD properly stored with its metadata in the camera folder structure or in a camera archive, the media can be imported. It is re-wrapped to QuickTime, but it still maintains the AVC format using the H.264 codec. For better performance and quality you can optimize the media to ProRes.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2011 9:17 AM in response to PNAKY

The information in the link is misleading or perhaps just wrong. It is correct that FCPX does not edit .mts files, but the media is not converted to a frame based format unless you optimize it. If you have AVCHD properly stored with its metadata in the camera folder structure or in a camera archive, the media can be imported. It is re-wrapped to QuickTime, but it still maintains the AVC format using the H.264 codec. For better performance and quality you can optimize the media to ProRes.

Jul 2, 2011 11:44 AM in response to PNAKY

AVCHD is an acquisition format and wasn't really designed for editing.

That said, Premier / Premier Elements can edit it natively, apparently, but with a significant tax on your CPU and computer memory, "transcoding" virtually (for one way to think of it) as it goes. I tried PE with that in mind, and it was a bumpy ride.

It's really better, in my opinion, to get your footage into an optimized codec from the outset. The files are larger, but then half the work is already done. To put it another way, there's no free lunch. What AVCHD demands from processing and memory, ProRes (for instance) requires of storage - and storage is cheap.

Jul 2, 2011 7:03 PM in response to Daniel Slagle

Conversion isn't always a practical option. If you're an editor and your handed a couple of SD cards than yes, sure cinvert them. However, if you handed 10 or 15 SD cards ( or their files on a hard drive) Then it isn't practical. That's why Avid invented AMA. You can edit with files like Red or AVCHD natively or convert what you need. That's the sort of choice a professional program needs to give an editor. I haven't yet looked closely enough at FCPX. Does it automatically convert AVCHD files or do you have a choice?

Jul 3, 2011 1:47 AM in response to glitchNE

What isn't clear? It has to be re-wrapped; that's instantaneous while the file is being copied. You don't have a choice about that. You have the option to optimize during import to ProRes, which is a background process and does not stop you from editing in any way. You can also choose to optimize at any time later. Again a background process and does not effect what you're doing while you edit. You'll get better performance and better quality if you optimize. Get bigger drives.

Jul 3, 2011 5:26 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Why are AVCHD files copied and re-wrapped? To where? If I already have a external drive with those files on it why would I make yet another copy of those files?

Still calling it "Optinize" really isn't what's happening is it? Seems like the terminology is part of the dumbing down. If your the user and you see that you might think "Of coure I want to optimize" not knowing that you couod end up filling your dtive.

Jul 3, 2011 5:55 AM in response to glitchNE

Why are AVCHD files copied and re-wrapped?

Because they're .mts files and are complete crap for editing. Try to edit them in Premiere. It is truly awful. It's a camera manufacturer's solution with total disregard for the production process. What's so bad about rewrapping?

To where?

To your Final Cut Events folder.

If I already have a external drive with those files on it why would I make yet another copy of those files?

See 1.

Still calling it "Optinize" really isn't what's happening is it?

Seems like it to me. It's taking a truly horrible video format and making it into something useable for production in very high quality. What's not optimization about that?

I guess the users should read the manual or get a good book or training DVD.

Jul 3, 2011 7:15 AM in response to PNAKY

Although there may be some trivial loss of quality converting MTS to ProRes, it’s analogous to saying you’ll lose some quality of an mp3 audio file converting it to pcm. AVCHD isn’t exactly a professional high-quality acquisition format to begin with. It was meant for folks who want to connect their camcorder to a TV set and watch clips of their birthday party with family and friends. Yes, it produces good video, but it wasn’t designed for editing, and remains problematic.

I got seduced by the siren song of “native” AVCHD editing too; it lasted for exactly one project.

I’m not sure what the point of keeping AVCHD past acquisition is. Distribution these days is 99% .mov, even for HD broadcast.

Jul 3, 2011 9:15 AM in response to Jeaux

You can import mts AVCHD files if you use the "Camera Archive" facility, either with the camera, or the camera card. If you just have the mts or m2ts files then you can't import them. You should then use the batch processing capability of ClipWrap 2 and convert them to ProRes files. If you have Sanyo Xacti full HD footage (H.264/MP4 1080 60i)), which can be read by QT10, QT 7, FCExpress and iMovie, you will find it cannot be read by FCPX. Apple recommends you use FCE to convert it to ProRes, but gives no assistance if you don't happen to have that program. Extraordinary.

Import m2ts files to FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.