Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install 10.6 New Drive Migrate from Original Drive

I have a Mac Pro running 10.5.8 on it's factory original drive. What I'd like to do is install 10.6 on a new drive and migrate my account with all settings and apps to that new drive. Both drives are installed internally on the Mac Pro ready to go, Leopard Install disk at hand and waiting.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 11:12 AM

That it... all you need to do is start the installer and it will walk you through the rest, including the migration from the other disk. After install and migration, when you arrive at your Desktop go to Utilities/Disk Utility and repair permissions. But with 10.7 almost here...?

11 replies

Jul 2, 2011 11:33 AM in response to Lawrence of Berkley

A much better step would be to

1: Clone the existing 10.5 to a Disk Utility HFS+ journaled formatted external drive using the free Carbon Copy Cloner

2: Hold option and boot from the clone, check it out. Disconnect.

3: Upgrade 10.5 to 10.6 on the orignal drive using the 10.6 upgrade disk, see how everything works (if not you can hold option and boot from the 10.5 clone and even reverse clone if necessary)

4: If the 10.6 upgrade went well, then clone that to the new larger drive (formatted HFS+ journaled first of course)

The reason for this is you avoid ANY issue with using Setup or Migration Assistant, which isn't exaclty perfect or even close.

You also get a external clone as a backup.

If your thinking, "I'm going to install 10.6 so it's fresh" all that goes to HELLO when you use Setup or Migration Assistant, you migrate all the crap from 10.5

If you really want a fresh install of 10.6, you need to do 10.5 install first so you get your free iLife, then upgrade to 10.6, then install programs from original sources, finally just copy the files from the 10.5 drive.

If your doing what your doing to optimize/defrag the drive, cloning back and forth does that as CCC copies folders/files alphabetically via the root directory.

Jul 2, 2011 11:50 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

The reason for this is you avoid ANY issue with using Setup or Migration Assistant, which isn't exaclty perfect or even close.

In my experience and observations Migration Assistant runs very well when done from Setup Assistant. When run at a later date, it has a habit of creating new Home folders.

ds store wrote:

... then install programs from original sources,

That's where I draw the line on "clean". Porting over your Applications shouldn't create "crap". If the app is not compatible, Migation Assistant won't port it. Re-installing every app is a real PITA each one hasa 20 digit code and the apps that use Vise installers just go on forever, then there are the updates...

Jul 2, 2011 12:41 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

IMO, a clean install is a total waste of time. Clone the Leopard installation, install Snow Leopard onto either, run Software Update, and get up to 10.6.8. Reinstalling everything from scratch, including user and network settings is an exercise in futility.

Not if after SA/MA his machine runs like crap it's not.

A total fresh install isn't hard at all, just people fall out of touch doing it.

Jul 2, 2011 12:57 PM in response to macjack

macjack wrote:

In my experience and observations Migration Assistant runs very well when done from Setup Assistant. When run at a later date, it has a habit of creating new Home folders.

Well a simple search for "migration assistant" on ASC shows more horror.

That's where I draw the line on "clean". Porting over your Applications shouldn't create "crap". If the app is not compatible, Migation Assistant won't port it. Re-installing every app is a real PITA each one hasa 20 digit code and the apps that use Vise installers just go on forever, then there are the updates...

Fresh installs are not that bad, I do them routinely on Windows, Linux and OS X. Piece of cake.

There's the satisfaction of knowing everything is placed there as originally intended on a pristine system.

No leftover 3-5 year old crap code that's been festering with bad sectors and other errors (user included) over time.

Fresh and clean, like new. No little hidden thumbnail image caches neither. Speedy too.

Jul 3, 2011 10:43 PM in response to ds store

The path I chose is this:

Using Carbon Copy Cloner, I made a backup of the my original drive to a second drive, tested it and set it aside. Then, I did an upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 on the original drive, including all software updates. Finally, I cloned the original drive to a new drive which will now be my boot drive on my Mac Pro. So at this point, I have a new boot drive in 10.6, a backup boot drive in 10.6, and a boot drive with my original system in 10.5. So far everything has tested A-OK. I am now ready for Lion.

Install 10.6 New Drive Migrate from Original Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.