Skip navigation

iP 9 won't complete database upgrade

282 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 6:26 PM by kathy j RSS
DB1@mac Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 2, 2011 11:37 AM

Trying to install iLife 11 and upgrade to iPhoto 9.1.3.

iPhoto will not complete database upgrade. after 5 mins or so, it hangs and beachball spins.

1) How can I access my photos. I need them for work?

2) How can iPhoto be fixed?

3) Can anyone please recommend a reliable alternative to iPhoto, as the Apple application is so troublesome?

I have repaired permissions, deleted prefs and cache, restarted.....

MacBook iMAc24, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,640 points)
    Jul 2, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to DB1@mac)

This can be caused by a locked or damaged file within the library.

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair Library permissions.

If that fails: Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.  

Regards

TD

• DrLaLa Calculating status...
    Mar 14, 2012 4:58 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)

Your advice to use the IP Library Manager to rebuild my old library was perfect.  After hours of failed attempts to do this automatically in the new iPhoto on my new MacBook Pro, I tried the LM application and it worked within a few minutes.  Thank you!

• kathy j Calculating status...
    Mar 14, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to DB1@mac)

I had this same problem and spent incredible amount of time trying disk permission repair, rebuild, etc only to have iPhoto still not work. I  downloaded the library manager and its doing a great job right now of transferring files.

Thank you so much.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.